Sarah Palin

Politics of Sarah Palin:
www.lewrockwell.com/cummings/cummings58.html

Very interesting piece. I agree with it insofar as there are aspects of Palin that I find troubling. But is she really as sinister as Richard Cummings seems to make out here? "There is an underside to Palin’s populism and this is its inevitable authoritarianism," he writes. Inevitable? That seems quite unfair to populism, which can also be anti-authoritarian. Or is he only saying it's inevitable specifically in Palin's case? This is not clear. Either way, he fails to explain why it should be so.

The idea that the aspirations of Bush and the Republicans to create an "ownership society" in which more people owned their own homes and would thus become more conservative are behind the sub-prime mortgage crisis is a fascinating one. But again more evidence is needed to prove the case. The comparison between the GOP convention crowd shouting "Sarah" and Peronist crowds shouting "Evita" may be valid, but is it valid specifically because of Palin's politics? It seems to me that a stronger case can be made that it's not all about her, but rather her treatment is simply symptomatic of the fact that U.S. politics are increasingly falling into the orbit of celebrity culture, and that this can be seen just as strongly with Barack Obama as with Sarah Palin.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

You raise some interesting qs.

I suggest you send them to the author of the piece.

Best, Michael