RPI: News & Events - Minority Rules: Scientists Discover Tipping Point for the Spread of Ideas


I am not sure this theory really explains anything. It would seem to me that a
committed 10% could advance their opinion ONLY if the other 90% were unsure or

Suppose for example that 10% were deeply convinced of the superiority of markets
and another 10% were deeply convinced that a market economy is flawed and the
remaining 80% is undecided. Which opinion would prevail?

I don't think our task is going to be so easy as to convince 10% of the
rightness of our views because we are opposed by people who are equally
convinced of the rightness of their view.


Or if the 10% were more committed to bringing about change than whatever percentage of true believers on the other side. Commitment (willingness to do a lot!) is what I believe brings about change, not depth of belief.


Depends on your timeline. A very small minority, ready to do violence can rule for quite sometime. But truth firmly held , wins in the end. Ask Deng chow Ping. Of course, cultural habits take a ong time to change.

Liberty works. socialism fails. The truth will out. the commited just need to learn enough.

It actually amazes me how few Libertarians have taken the time and effort to learn the economics Commitment without knowledge is not particularly effective.

Are you implying that I don't understand economics!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My view is that
we are discussing a political problem here. No matter how many times socialism
fails, it is none the less a perennial temptation. Markets have demonstrated
their superiority over collectivism countless times through history.

Truth may out, but the victory is brief. The socialist always arise again. The
battle for truth and freedom is never ending.