(RESEND) Results of youth poll on political affililation

Sorry, somehow the poll itself which I cut and pasted into the email didn't come out, so I've copied the numbers manually below. One additional comment also — note the huge size of the "I'm Undecided" and "None" categories! This is both a challenge and an opportunity.

Yours in liberty,
              <<< Starchild >>>

Dear Everyone;

Starchild makes a valid point and creates a point. The question is how do we educate current voters and future voters about the Libertarian party? What are our principles? What do these mean to you and why you should become a Libertarian party member.

My own personal experience is an example. I was a Libertarian by personal beliefs and belonged to another brand name party. I was getting increasingly uncomfortable with them. I never knew there was another party which encompassed my beliefs. Then I stumbled across the Libertarian party by accident two years ago. And Viola! A political party which matched my beliefs.

There has to be a continual sales, marketing and advertising program to let people know there is another real alternative. This would have to come from a co-ordinated local - state - national program.

As an example, in San Francisco the second largest " political " party is DEC. That is the Decline to State party. DEC makes up 25% of all eligible voters in San Francisco and there are 143,000 of them. Here are a group of people who are registered to vote despite the big turn off of belonging to a political party. Certainly there must be at least several thousand of them who could and would join the Libertarian party. If they knew what we were and what we stood for.

How do we go about getting them educated about Libertarian principles and getting them registered?

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Starchild <sfdreamer@...> wrote:
Sorry, somehow the poll itself which I cut and pasted into the email
didn't come out, so I've copied the numbers manually below. One
additional comment also � note the huge size of the "I'm Undecided" and
"None" categories! This is both a challenge and an opportunity.

Yours in liberty,
<<< Starchild >>>

I suspect a fair number of those that picked Independent are doing so because they (like I did, when I was in school) thought it meant something like "decidedly not Republican or Democrat". If so, that would make the effective "Undecided" total 36%.

-- Steve