Request for Input on the Future of this List

Dear Marcy,

You mentioned:

the spontaneous
willingness of posters to see their perspectives as just that, their
point of view; one view among many equally excellent ones.

Perhaps you can help me understand what you mean here, with a concrete example.

Suppose I, an anarcho-libertarian, am trading emails with you, a minarchist, debating the legitimacy of the state. You clearly think anarchism is misguided (at best). Although you have always respected my right to have a differing opinion, in what sense would you be viewing my misguided opinion as "equally excellent?"

Best, Michael

Dear Michael,

You say I would view your belief in anarchism as "misguided;" and
wonder if that would indeed be my perspective. I would prefer to call
your belief "different" than mine, since there exists as many
excellent arguments in favor of anarchism as against it. The reason I
fall on the side of minimalism is not because minimalism is good and
anarchism is bad, but because, given my own personal life experience I
more readily accept the arguments in favor of minimalism.

As an aside, although my objective is to see both sides of arguments
(yes, even the ones the majority would call extreme), that is not to
say that I do not argue with passion (hopefully not shrillness) for or
against an idea or action.

Regards,

Marcy

Dear Marcy,

You mentioned:
> the spontaneous
> willingness of posters to see their perspectives as just that, their
> point of view; one view among many equally excellent ones.

Perhaps you can help me understand what you mean here, with a

concrete example.

Suppose I, an anarcho-libertarian, am trading emails with you, a

minarchist, debating the legitimacy of the state. You clearly think
anarchism is misguided (at best). Although you have always respected
my right to have a differing opinion, in what sense would you be
viewing my misguided opinion as "equally excellent?"

Best, Michael

From: Amarcy D. Berry
To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:34 AM
Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Request for Input on the Future of this List

Thank you for the clarification, Michael. I completely agree with your
suggestions.

Marcy

>
> Dear Marcy,
>
> You wrote:
> > I like Michael E's suggestion that posters attend LPSF meetings! <
>
> I appreciate your kind words. However, I did not suggest this.
>
> I suggested only those sending insulting emails be required to
attend (two) meetings as a requirement for continuing posting.
>
> > Brian asks for the "rules" to be posted. Huuuummmm.... I don't

think

> we have any "rules" to post. True, this list has not allowed for
> insulting language. <
>
> As I recommended in a previous email, this is the rule (precisely as
you state): "No insulting language." In internet lingo, "No flaming."
>
> Wikipedia defines flaming as: "... posting messages that are
deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a
discussion board (usually on the Internet). Such messages are called
flames..."
>
> This is a simple, clear standard. Does anyone object?
>
> Best, Michael
>
> From: Amarcy D. Berry
> To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 11:35 PM
> Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Request for Input on the Future of

this List

Michael,

  You appear to be judging Marcy's statement according to a standard for which it was not designed. I believe she was striving to be diplomatic, not accurate.

Love & Liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

Starchild,

I've emailed you once before and left phone messages with you twice, attempting to make arrangements for putting up posters and RP signs. I haven't heard back from you.

How's Sun. 23 Sep. from 12:30 PM- 3 PM? I can come by car if you think this would be useful.

Please respond and let me know if you're still interested in following through.

Thanks.

Best, Michael

Hi Michael,

  Sorry about that. That date and time should be OK for me, though in general I'd prefer a weekday if you have one available. We could always do this on more than one day, too, I suppose.

  If early afternoon Sundays are good for you, this Sunday there is going to be a Ron Paul sign-making party at the Power Exchange (74 Otis Street). Mike Powers may be willing to put up one or more LPSF posters there too, if we bring them.

Love & Liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>