Recall of Chesa Boudin update

Hi everyone,

In good news, I saw in the SF Chronicle that the Recall Chesa Boudin
effort failed to collect the required number of signatures in the time
allotted. I wanted to provide the article link here, but not being a
Chronicle subscriber, it wouldn’t let me.

···

Best,
Richard

Actually, that is just the first Recall Chesa effort. There is another one already out there.

Mike

···

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 1:40 PM
To: mike@dennz.com
Subject: [LPSF Forum] [Activists List] Recall of Chesa Boudin update

[https://forum.lpsf.org/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/r/edb3f5/45.png]
RickySpeedhttps://forum.lpsf.org/u/rickyspeed
August 16

Hi everyone,

··· (click for more details)https://forum.lpsf.org/t/recall-of-chesa-boudin-update/21578/1

Visit Topichttps://forum.lpsf.org/t/recall-of-chesa-boudin-update/21578/1 or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click herehttps://forum.lpsf.org/email/unsubscribe/09443046eabfa814b32a7558b2021cdbcccb270b019adb44f4e88dd5bb4844a8.
If you were forwarded this email and want to subscribe, click herehttps://forum.lpsf.org/signup.

I have been away from SF for a while and haven’t followed the news very closely, but a lot of the frustration I have seen around Boudin is that he has been lax on enforcement of property crime (shoplifting, break-ins, etc). This (for better or worse) is a responsibility that falls on the government, and certainly a less controversial from a libertarian standpoint.

I certainly don’t have all the facts, but it surprises me to see folks here opposing his recall. Regardless of the party’s endorsement of Chesa back during the election, he should be judged on his actions. The party has made endorsements in the past that would not hold muster today…

Has Boudin lived up to the LSPF’s expectations? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I’m in a group of Westside political activists that meets weekly. Former Richmond District police Captain Richard Carrera says he is surprised businesses don’t do more to take care of their own property crime security either by securing merchandise or guards. Violent crime is supposed to be the focus for the police. He feels targeting Boudin is “convenient”.

Mike

···

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 3:56 PM
To: mike@dennz.com
Subject: Re: [LPSF Forum] [Activists List] Recall of Chesa Boudin update

[https://forum.lpsf.org/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/n/4af34b/45.png]
nickshttps://forum.lpsf.org/u/nicks
August 16

I have been away from SF for a while and haven’t followed the news very closely, but a lot of the frustration I have seen around Boudin is that he has been lax on enforcement of property crime (shoplifting, break-ins, etc). This (for better or worse) is a responsibility that falls on the government, and certainly a less controversial from a libertarian standpoint.

I certainly don’t have all the facts, but it surprises me to see folks here opposing his recall. Regardless of the party’s endorsement of Chesa back during the election, he should be judged on his actions. The party has made endorsements in the past that would not hold muster today…

Visit Topichttps://forum.lpsf.org/t/recall-of-chesa-boudin-update/21578/3 or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click herehttps://forum.lpsf.org/email/unsubscribe/ac3926f4e90cd6e255fa25d3aad03fb6960cdf30b3a7210364e59e8b1a3165ad.
If you were forwarded this email and want to subscribe, click herehttps://forum.lpsf.org/signup.

Hi Nick,

Good to hear from you… Chesa Boudin has lived up to my expectations. We heard from Chesa at our March meeting, and I thought he acquitted himself very well in explaining his views and what his office is doing, including enforcement of property crimes. He had statistics and details to back up his points that I unfortunately don’t remember well enough to be able to present here, but one I do know is that contrary to what some perceive, or would have you believe, most crime levels in SF have gone down during his tenure, not up. He’s said he doesn’t necessarily take credit for that, recognizing that Covid-19 and other factors have played a role, but neither should he be blamed I think for certain categories, like car break-ins, having increased. In a city with as much wealth disparity as San Francisco (as a result of statist government policies), I’m sometimes actually surprised that property crime isn’t a lot higher.

Chesa was elected by a very narrow margin over the candidate backed by the mayor and the police union, and the criminal justice establishment have been out for him from the get-go. I think he’s the first district attorney SF has ever had who is serious about holding police officers accountable for their abuses just like ordinary folks would be, and some people don’t like that at all. He remains committed to criminal justice reform, including decriminalizing victimless “crimes” like drug sales and prostitution that Libertarians have long stood for, and I’ve never gotten the sense that he thinks people should be able to steal or commit property crimes with impunity. I think the restorative justice approach should be given more of a chance to work.

Are you still in New Jersey, Nick? Been doing anything there as far as activism, or know of any libertarian or other news/happenings of interest? You aware of John Paff? I think he may be one of the LP’s most effective activists – see e.g. How John Paff relentlessly pursues public's right to know . Plans to be back in SF?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

···

On Aug 16, 2021, at 3:55 PM, Nick Smith via LPSF Forum wrote:

nicks
August 16

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

dennz
August 16
Actually, that is just the first Recall Chesa effort. There is another one already out there.

Mike

··· (click for more details)
RickySpeed
August 16
Hi everyone,

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.
If you were forwarded this email and want to subscribe, click here.

Just spotted this relevant part of an article in Mission Local:

“Boudin refuted the claim that his office doesn’t prosecute people who commit crimes. ‘When police make an arrest, we prosecute and we hold people accountable. That’s what happened in the majority of cases the police bring us,’ Boudin said.
This also means that if an arrest isn’t made by police or there’s insufficient evidence, there isn’t much his office can do. Boudin cited that his office has filed charges this year in over 80 percent of burglaries and 70 percent of robberies that the SFPD has presented an arrest for — rates he said are higher than the years before he took office at the start of 2020.’”

– From Lessons from the District Attorney and the Chief of Police - Mission Local

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

P.S. – If there are further comments on this thread, please post to the LPSF-Discuss list (LPSF-Discuss@Forum.LPSF.org), rather than the Activists list, since this is more discussion than activism.

···

On Aug 16, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Starchild via LPSF Forum wrote:

Starchild
August 17
Hi Nick,

Good to hear from you… Chesa Boudin has lived up to my expectations. We heard from Chesa at our March meeting, and I thought he acquitted himself very well in explaining his views and what his office is doing, including enforcement of property crimes. He had statistics and details to back up his points that I unfortunately don’t remember well enough to be able to present here, but one I do know is that contrary to what some perceive, or would have you believe, most crime levels in SF have gone down during his tenure, not up. He’s said he doesn’t necessarily take credit for that, recognizing that Covid-19 and other factors have played a role, but neither should he be blamed I think for certain categories, like car break-ins, having increased. In a city with as much wealth disparity as San Francisco (as a result of statist government policies), I’m sometimes actually surprised that property crime isn’t a lot higher.

Chesa was elected by a very narrow margin over the candidate backed by the mayor and the police union, and the criminal justice establishment have been out for him from the get-go. I think he’s the first district attorney SF has ever had who is serious about holding police officers accountable for their abuses just like ordinary folks would be, and some people don’t like that at all. He remains committed to criminal justice reform, including decriminalizing victimless “crimes” like drug sales and prostitution that Libertarians have long stood for, and I’ve never gotten the sense that he thinks people should be able to steal or commit property crimes with impunity. I think the restorative justice approach should be given more of a chance to work.

Are you still in New Jersey, Nick? Been doing anything there as far as activism, or know of any libertarian or other news/happenings of interest? You aware of John Paff? I think he may be one of the LP’s most effective activists – see e.g. How John Paff relentlessly pursues public’s right to know . Plans to be back in SF?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

In Reply To

RickySpeed
August 16
Hi everyone, In good news, I saw in the SF Chronicle that the Recall Chesa Boudin effort failed to collect the required number of signatures in the time allotted. I wanted to provide the article link here, but not being a Chronicle subscriber, it wouldn’t let me. ··· (click for more details)
Previous Replies

dennz
August 16
I’m in a group of Westside political activists that meets weekly. Former Richmond District police Captain Richard Carrera says he is surprised businesses don’t do more to take care of their own property crime security either by securing merchandise or guards. Violent crime is supposed to be the focus for the police. He feels targeting Boudin is “convenient”.

Mike

nicks
August 16

dennz
August 16

Mike

RickySpeed
August 16
Hi everyone,

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.
If you were forwarded this email and want to subscribe, click here.