Reason: GOP Writing Off 30 Percent of American Electorate / A Lesson for Libertarians

would tents or people sleeping on sidewalks be akin to people occupying two seats on a crowded bus

In cases where a sidewalk is as crowded as a crowded bus, I would say yes. In other situations (i.e. most of the cases I've seen where there are tents on sidewalks in the city and it's far less crowded), no. The aisles in buses are usually quite narrow compared to most sidewalks, and of course it can also be more difficult to navigate on a moving bus. (That being said, I'm okay with people sitting on the floor of a bus if they need to sit down and there's nowhere else to sit.)

In drawing an equivalency between resting bags on seats at airport terminals and sleeping on or having tents on sidewalks, are you suggesting that the former should be illegal or that the latter should be legal? I'm confused.

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

I fail to see the distinction you are making about consensus, Mike.

Regarding the proposal to choose one economic and one social issue for arguments, that has been proposed several times before without success. Mostly the social proposals grow government, which is not something we want.

Marcy

I’m talking about expanding Liberty….not expanding government. The prohibiting tents on sidewalks issue expands government power. Not supporting the measure does not expand government.

Mike

You are going into some fine points, Starchild!

But good you pointed the variable of "legal" vs illegal. In all cases I would prefer no laws interfering with my ability to take care of someone lying in front of my store or occupying two seats on a crowded bus.

Marcy

Correct. I would have been opposed to an LPSF ballot argument supporting that measure. I have always been in favor of being allowed to take care of the situation myself. No laws about it at all!

Marcy

Maybe you are right Marcy….on “public” property you should be free to fight it out. Not necessarily a recipe for peace but that’s the nature of “public”.

Mike

You should oppose the measure based on Liberty. Voting to have the government do your dirty work for you is an expansion of government power. Not worthy of you or the LPSF.

Mike

Yep. It could get messy, but in my view personal action would be preferable to the piles upon piles of laws we have now.

Marcy

You confuse me Mike. I just said the exact opposite of what you are claiming I said. So to conclude and reiterate just in case I was not clear: I am opposed to laws of any kind when I feel the situation can be taken care of by personal action.

Marcy

Agreed…

Mike