Re: School Board Agenda Items

Thanks, Chris! As mentioned, I was not aware that School Boards in California are REQUIRED to put items requested by citizens on the agenda. I’m copying your message to the LPSF Activists List.

Here is some info about San Francisco school board meetings:

Unless otherwise noticed, Regular meetings are held every 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, according to Board Rules and Procedures. All regular and committee meetings are open to the public.

The agenda for the next regular or committee meeting will be posted 72 hours before the meeting is scheduled to occur. Agendas for special meetings are posted at least 24 hours in advance.

Live video and archives can be watched at San Francisco Government TV https://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=47.

Audio recordings of meetings are posted to the Board Meeting Documents Archive https://www.sfusd.edu/about-sfusd/board-education/board-education-meetings/2020-board-education-meeting-documents-archive.

The next meeting is May 23:

Irving G. Breyer Board Meeting Room
555 Franklin Street, First Floor
San Francisco, California 94102

Meeting Start Time:
Closed Session Begins at 5:00 p.m.
Open Session Begins at 6:30 p.m.

The current SFUSD (school) board members are:

Kevine Boggess (president)
Lisa Weissman-Ward (Vice President)
Alida Fisher
Mark Sanchez
Lainie Motamedi
Matt Alexander
Jenny Lam
Cal Kinoshita (student delegate, Lowell H.S.)
Isabella Hansen (student delegate, Ruth Asawa H.S.)

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

···

On May 15, 2023, at 3:44 PM, Chris Robell <chris_robell@yahoo.com mailto:chris_robell@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Starchild,

Nice speaking with you last night. Below is information I mentioned (in case you or anyone from SF Libertarian Party wants to address the school board via an agenda item with discussion vs. the usual 3 minute of one-way oral communications).

Something I didn’t know and thought I’d pass along. The California Education Code (statute 35145.5) REQUIRES that a school board allow a citizen to place an item on the school board agenda.

This is a great opportunity to raise concerns/issues (lack of oversight, wasteful spending, etc.). The business of the people is the people’s business.

Consider passing along to your colleagues so we can effectuate positive change:

Ed Code 35145.5

It is the intent of the Legislature that members of the public be able to place matters directly related to school district business on the agenda of school district governing board meetings. Every agenda for regular meetings shall provide an opportunity for members of the public to directly address the governing board on any item of interest to the public, before or during the governing board’s consideration of the item, that is within the subject matter jurisdiction of the governing board. Governing boards shall adopt reasonable regulations to insure that this intent is carried out. The regulations may specify reasonable procedures to insure the proper functioning of governing board meetings.
This subdivision shall not preclude the taking of testimony at regular meetings on matters not on the agenda which any member of the public may wish to bring before the board, provided that, except as authorized by Section 54954.2 of the Government Code, no action is taken by the board on those matters at the same meeting at which the testimony is taken. Nothing in this paragraph shall be deemed to limit further discussion on the same subject matter at a subsequent meeting.