RE: More on prop. 73

Well I see one of my posts finally prompted a discussion. :slight_smile:

Insofar as prop 73 is nothing but a stunt by organized religion to chip away at safe and legal abortions (and who knows what else... maybe birth control will be next) I will vote NO.

Do not think that organized religion will be satisfied with overturning Roe v. Wade and thus turning the issue back to the states. Any more than they are satisfied to have gay marriage on a state by state basis. No, What they really want are national constitutional amendments to ban abortion, gay marriage, and anything else that they deem 'immoral' or 'sinful'. They won't be satisfied until all 'sinful' activities are banned everywhere in the USA. Just like the Taliban was not satisfied until every last woman was in a veil and confined to her house.

Libertarians are not serving the public interest by remaining silent and taking 'no position' on these issues. We must not yeild one inch in a misguided attempt to curry favor with the religious right. Fundamentalism (of whatever stripe) is nothing more than totalitarianism clothed in primitive religious myths.

-DG

Dear David and Everyone Else;

To short-circuit such Propositions or Legislation I propose the following Amendment to the California Constitution and the US Constitution:

No law may be enacted which would impose any moral, ethical, social, sexual, racial or religious beliefs, tenets or mores. Any currently existing laws which do are immediately repealed.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Dave GOGGIN <dg2222@...> wrote:
Well I see one of my posts finally prompted a discussion. :slight_smile:

Insofar as prop 73 is nothing but a stunt by organized religion to chip away
at safe and legal abortions (and who knows what else... maybe birth control
will be next) I will vote NO.

Do not think that organized religion will be satisfied with overturning Roe
v. Wade and thus turning the issue back to the states. Any more than they
are satisfied to have gay marriage on a state by state basis. No, What they
really want are national constitutional amendments to ban abortion, gay
marriage, and anything else that they deem 'immoral' or 'sinful'. They
won't be satisfied until all 'sinful' activities are banned everywhere in
the USA. Just like the Taliban was not satisfied until every last woman was
in a veil and confined to her house.

Libertarians are not serving the public interest by remaining silent and
taking 'no position' on these issues. We must not yeild one inch in a
misguided attempt to curry favor with the religious right. Fundamentalism
(of whatever stripe) is nothing more than totalitarianism clothed in
primitive religious myths.

-DG

SPONSORED LINKS
U s government grant Libertarian party U s government student loan California politics