RE: [lpsf-discuss] public schools involved in lobbying?

UCSF has played a large role in the antitobacco lobby, I think,
spearheaded by Stanton Glantz. It has often looked to me as though UCSF
undertook inappropriate political action. The Regents regular make
recommendations or endorsements of ballot propositions. I called the
UCSF attorney over 20 years ago about such practices (I think in that
case the Chancellor had published an article in the campus newspaper
asking us to vote a particular way, probably on a bond issue that
directly affected the University). He admitted that it was a "gray
area." I've thought of submitted an editorial myself when elections
roll around and these editorials appear, but haven't ever gotten around
to it.

Dear Mike;

It could be a similar situation when Rob Reiner used tax funds for his coincidental TV advertising of " preschool for all" the same time the Proposition 82 initiative was circulating. Now his cigarette tax funded First 5 Child commission is being audited to verify if tax funds were improperly used for campaigning.

Since UCSF does receive tax funds any use of those funds for campaign purposes is forbidden. You would have to find out where the funds came from under the budget allocations to fund the anti -whatever program.

Then if it could be shown UCSF was illeaglly using tax funds for campaigning the whole thing could be shut down. There is no Gray Area.

Ron Getty
  SF Libertarian

"Acree, Michael" <acreem@...> wrote:
      UCSF has played a large role in the antitobacco lobby, I think, spearheaded by Stanton Glantz. It has often looked to me as though UCSF undertook inappropriate political action. The Regents regular make recommendations or endorsements of ballot propositions. I called the UCSF attorney over 20 years ago about such practices (I think in that case the Chancellor had published an article in the campus newspaper asking us to vote a particular way, probably on a bond issue that directly affected the University). He admitted that it was a "gray area." I've thought of submitted an editorial myself when elections roll around and these editorials appear, but haven't ever gotten around to it.