This is my favorite charity: Name, URL and wikipedia description belowFrancoise

The Institute for Justice

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Institute for Justice
IJ-Logo-green.png

IJ logo
Arlington, Virginia

www.ij.org

The Institute for Justice (IJ) is a 501©(3) non-profit American libertarian public interest law firm in the United States.[1] Its mission is to provide pro bono legal advice and representation, litigating strategically to pursue its goal of a rule of law under which individuals can control their destinies as free and responsible members of society. It litigates in four core areas: economic liberty, property rights, free speech, and school choice. IJ has state chapters in Minnesota, Texas, Arizona, Florida, and Washington as well as a clinic on entrepreneurship at the University of Chicago Law School.
In addition to litigation, “the Institute [takes its cases] to the court of public opinion with editorials and op-eds in leading local and national newspapers.”[2] The Institute also conducts training programs for law students, and publishes the bimonthly newsletter, Liberty and Law and several strategic research reports per year.[3]
The Institute has also established an initiative against civil forfeiture, a nationwide effort to challenge the ability of governments to take property from owners without a criminal conviction. To launch this initiative, the Institute, in 2010, published Policing for Profit, a comprehensive report documenting forfeiture abuse at all levels of government.

Contents[hide]

History[edit]IJ was founded in 1991 by Chip Mellor and Clint Bolick. The inaugural speech launching the Institute for Justice was given on September 10, 1991.

Notable cases[edit]The Institute has been involved in numerous lawsuits.[4] Particularly noteworthy cases include school choice lawsuits in Cleveland, Milwaukee, Arizona, and Florida. They have also been closely involved in several eminent domain lawsuits, including Coking vs. C.R.D.A, in which they defended the right of Vera Coking to stay in her home despite the intent of Donald Trump to use her land for a parking lot, and the landmark eminent domain lawsuit of Kelo v. City of New London, winning the former and losing the latter.

Supreme Court cases[edit]- Kelo v. City of New London

Funding[edit]In fiscal year 2012, 85 percent of IJ’s total contributions came from individuals. Another 14 percent was raised through donations from foundations, with 1 percent coming from businesses. No government funds are accepted.[5] The initial funding for the Institute came from the Koch Family Foundations, which also fund the libertarian Cato Institute and Citizens for a Sound Economy.

Honors and accolades[edit]Charity Navigator gave IJ its highest rating for twelve consecutive years.[6]

In 2005, The Washingtonian listed IJ among “great places to work”.[7]
Other awards: [2]

Organizational Structure[edit]### Leadership[edit]- William H. Mellor – President and General Counsel

• John E. Kramer – Vice President for Communications
  • Beth Stevens – Vice President for Development
  • Deborah Simpson – Vice President for State Chapters and Institute Growth and Integration
  • Steven Anderson – Managing Vice President
  • Dana Berliner — Litigation Director

Senior attorneys[edit]- Scott Bullock

• Bert Gall
  • Michael Bindas
  • Dick Komer
  • Clark Neily
  • Jeff Rowes
  • Steve Simpson
  • Tim Keller
  • William R. Maurer
  • Lee McGrath
  • Matt Miller
  • Michael Bindas
  • Robert McNamara
  • Paul Sherman
  • Justin Pearson
    There are also 12 staff attorneys and various support staff.

Castle Coalition[edit]The Castle Coalition, a project of the Institute for Justice, was founded in March 2002 to train home and business owners how to stand up to governments and developers who seek to use eminent domain for economic development. The Castle Coalition provides resources to private property owners threatened by eminent domain, giving them tips and strategies for fighting land grabs. The Castle Coalition also hosts workshops nationwide training communities to be effective advocates for property rights. Individual activists and communities across the country have successfully used their tactics to save homes and businesses.

Activism and coalitions[edit]IJ’s Activism and Coalitions team organizes grassroot campaigns in support of economic liberty, private property rights, school choice, and free speech. This includes training and mobilizing activists and communities across the country to fight for individual rights, as well as providing legislative support to lawmakers.

Strategic research[edit]IJ has a strategic research team that produces social science and policy research on issues central to IJ’s mission. Using both quantitative and qualitative methods, the studies examine important questions by applying techniques from public policy, economics, political science, sociology and other disciplines to reach findings borne out by data. IJ conducts much of their research in-house, but also commissions leading scholars where appropriate.

IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship[edit]The IJ Clinic on Entrepreneurship is a joint project of the Institute for Justice and The University of Chicago Law School. The IJ Clinic teams lower-income entrepreneurs with law students to provide entry-level business people with pro-bono legal support they need to pursue entrepreneurial endeavors.

References[edit]1. Jump up^ About IJ

1. Jump up^ [1][dead link]
  2. Jump up^ Publications- Strategic Research | The Institute for Justice
  3. Jump up^ A list of IJ’s cases can be viewed at http://www.ij.org/cases
  4. Jump up^ About IJ: Financial Report | The Institute for Justice
  5. Jump up^ Charity Navigator Rating – Institute for Justice
  6. Jump up^ Institute for Justice Named One of Metro D.C.'s Greatest Places to Work! | The Institute for Justice

External links[edit]- Institute for Justice official website

Francoise,

Good call. The Institute for Justice is doing terrific work. I suspect it is at or near the top of the list of the most effective libertarian organizations (bearing in mind that some, like Institute for Humane Studies, the Seasteading Institute, Free State Project, ISIL, etc., indeed the Libertarian Party (US), may be doing extremely important work whose full impact has yet to be felt).

Please add IJ to my list too, Marcy.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

I will. Thank you.

Marcy

My local favorite is Raphael House….

http://www.raphaelhouse.org/

No government money accepted….

Mike

This conversation increasingly begs the questions of what groups we consider to be charities, and what our purpose(s) are in listing these groups on our website.

Francoise sees the Institute for Justice as a charity, and while it is not a traditional charity, I think there's a strong argument to be made that it is a charitable institution, because it often provides legal services to poor clients, and often does so in pursuit of goals such as reducing economic barriers to entry in various types of businesses, that hinder the ability of many other poor people to earn a living and improve their situations.

Most people would not consider the groups listed below, which are not engaged in direct work on behalf of the poor, to be charities. Whether this matters however is an open question in my mind.

My personal view that money given to libertarian organizations or put into the movement tends to do more to help poor people than does money given to traditional charities that are directly focused on helping the poor, because I believe more freedom in society will both increase prosperity and also produce a more equitable distribution of resources.

But of course most non-libertarians do not understand this, so in terms of showing people that we support charity and helping the poor, listing a group like the Mises Insitute in this context will not send the message that we support voluntarily helping people, unless we provide further explanation of the connection. Any such explanation, of course, will ring phony to those who refuse to accept the proposition that more freedom in society will help poor people.

I would favor having lots of links on LPSF.org to other groups we find worthwhile, both those we want to classify as "charities" and those we do not, along with descriptions of each group or site and why we feel they have merit.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

I agree with Starchild. I was using the term "charity" loosely, but it makes sense to be tighter in our definitions.

As he suggests we could have more than one category, including "Charities," "Think Tanks," "Blogs," and perhaps others.

Warm regards, Michael

A template page where people can add links and descriptions themselves could be a good way to get it done.

We could also point out our opposition to things like criminalizing people for sleeping in parks, sleeping in their vehicles, criminalizing people for loitering, criminalizing people for sitting or lying on the sidewalk, criminalizing people for "stealing" recyclables that are put out on the street, etc.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Marcy! I donate regularly to Hanna Boys Center, the school in Sonoma where my son went for almost 2 years. They spend a fortune on the boys there (sliding scale for parents), and not a cent comes from the taxpayers. I often use it as an example for those who attack the rich, because most of the money for Hanna comes from rich folks in the Sonoma community who bequeath money to Hanna. Hanna has an excellent reputation in the community, and it has to, in order to "stay in business." Most of the boys who attend (and live) there come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Their website is http://www.hannacenter.org/. As Francoise and others mentioned, I also like the Institute for Justice and donate occasionally to them. They help common folks too, though in a different way.

Thanks!
Aubrey

A template page where people can add links and descriptions themselves could be a good way to get it done.

We could also point out our opposition to things like criminalizing people for sleeping in parks, sleeping in their vehicles, criminalizing people for loitering, criminalizing people for sitting or lying on the sidewalk, criminalizing people for "stealing" recyclables that are put out on the street, etc.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Thank you, Aubrey.

Marcy