RE: [lpsf-activists] FW: What can a libertarian from NYC do in SF?

Thanks, Marcy.

Subject: [lpsf-activists] FW: What can a libertarian from NYC do in SF?
Date: Sat, November 05, 2011 10:48 am
To: <lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com>

Dear All,

The LPSF lunch with Alton Yee, Manhattan LP Director of Fundraising, is confirmed for Tuesday 11:15 at Ananda Fuara. I think it will be good to hear perspectives from other LP’s.

Francoise, as I recall you are often in New York, and if you are interested in dropping in at any of their meetings, you will be welcome via Alton’s invitation below.

Thanks all!

Marcy

To: ay838@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: What can a libertarian from NYC do in SF?
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 10:38:08 -0700

Hi Alton,

Seen you then! Michael, Starchild, and Aubrey from our group, besides myself, are looking forward to meeting you on Tuesday.

One of our members has a business that requires her to spend time in New York, I will alert her about your meetings, as especially the one on Monday 14th, which sounds pretty interesting.

Marcy

To: amarcyb@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:50:00 -0400

Hi Marcy,

Sounds good. I’ve “booked” you for Tuesday 11:15 am, Ananda Fuara, corner of Market and Larkin Streets. That’s near that impressive Public Library, so I could return some books I borrowed. (I joined as a non-resident member. It cost $10 for three months and I could have checked out as many as fifty items, of books, DVDs and CDs. Should I not return borrowed items, I imagine SF Public Library could have me lawfully extradicted from NY. BTW, in the Public Libraries don’t offer such memberships.)

It’s also near that hideously huge Federal building, which is appropriate for a hideously huge Federal government.

I look forward to seeing you and Michael. And let’s see how much “lots” we’ll talk about.

Alton

I understand the SF LP will have its monthly meeting next Saturday. I regret I won’t be able to attend. But if by chance, you, Michael or anyone else from your group, happen to be in NY on the following Monday, Nov 14, I like to invite you to attend the Manhattan LP’s regular meeting (www.manhattanLP.org). THe featured speaker is James Agresti who will speak about errors in Al Gore’s award winning, An Inconvenient Truth. Jim writes for his website, www.justfacts.com. He extensively researches subjects and presents “just facts” so you could draw your own conclusions. He personally is a libertarian. Besides Jim’s presentation, members from the other local NYC LPs, the Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island branches were specifically invited to attend. It will be like a family reunion. It shouldn’t be missed.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:51:47 -0700

Hi Alton,

Since you indicated that your time is flexible, how about Tuesday 11:15 am, Ananda Fuara, corner of Market and Larkin Streets. This should not be far from where you are staying. The place is a small vegetarian restaurant, with very good local reviews. Michael from our group said he would join us.

We will have lots to talk about, judging by your e-mail!!!

Regards,

Marcy

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:28:29 -0400

Hi Marcy,

I was glad to get your reply, in which you said, partly:

<< Sorry our fair City greeted you with our share of homeless folks! >>

Apology accepted. :slight_smile:

<< I wish I could tell you LPSF is doing a great job offering solutions to this situation, but I can’t. >>

Too bad.

<< I am not sure your solution would help . . . >>

Then how about sending the homeless on a barge towards Alcatraz and sinking it before it lands?

<< . . . if we are to believe in the effectiveness of supply and demand, in this case for city services for the homeless. >>

Here’s your problem. I was dismayed to learn that SF offers so many “in-kind” benefits to the homeless. I understand SF once gave a flat $400 for every homeless. As it’s said, the more your subsidize something, the more you have of that thing.

I went to your website to see how the SFLP stand on the issues and its choice for mayor.

I agreed on your positions, except “D Retirement Benefits for City Employees - Vote YES” gave me pause. Why would the an LP be in favor of retirement benefits for city employees? But when I read your lesser of evils endorsement of Avalos, you clarified that you were in favor of reforming an unsustainable retirement program for city employees. Which is more like it. I think all government employees, city, state and federal, should fund their own pensions, instead of getting sweetheart pensions at the cost of taxpayers. But that’s me.

I saw you say, “the profound fiscal conservatism of Libertarians,” and when you endorsed for Sheriff: #1 Choice – Ross Mirkarimi; “Our only preference,” you quoted what’s often said about libertarians, “Libertarians are economically conservative but socially liberal, deeply believing in individual rights.”

I’m reminded of what Sharon Harris of the Advocates (http://theadvocates.org/about/) said at the Liberty Conference I attended the weekend before I left for SF. Sharon, as a speaker at the conference, suggested we differentiate our libertarian “product” from conservatives and liberals. For example, instead of saying libertarians are fiscally conservative, we should say conservatives have libertarian ideas on economic issues. (After all, what conservative would advocate the wholesale closing of the Depts of Education, Agriculture, Energy, Commerce, etc.? Similarly, what liberal would advocate the complete end to the drug war, or complete removal of government in education?)

I would love to talk more about this during your generous lunch invitation, which I wholeheartedly accept. I’m here till next Wednesday, my schedule is fluid so I could probably meet at your convenience. I’d also love to meet the other members.

<< BTW, no, we are by no means supporting your “cousin” for Mayor! >>

Shucks. If my “cousin” wins, I would think he’d offer me a nice job within his administration (nepotism is never out of fashion, is it?) and then I’d move to SF for the duration.

Talk to you again.

Alton

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:08:33 -0700

Hi Alton,

Sorry our fair City greeted you with our share of homeless folks! Yes, I have been in the Tenderloin at all hours; however admittedly not on foot. My daughter attended U.C. Hastings, and I often gave her a ride to and from the school. I wish I could tell you LPSF is doing a great job offering solutions to this situation, but I can’t. I am not sure your solution would help, if we are to believe in the effectiveness of supply and demand, in this case for city services for the homeless.

Check our website lpsf.org for our recommendations for Mayor and for ballot proposals. Candidates running for City offices are not allowed to express their party affiliation, since these are considered “non-partisan” offices. Regarding the candidate posters all looking the same, there probably is a City rule about what they need to look like in order to keep the City “beautiful”. BTW, no, we are by no means supporting your “cousin” for Mayor!

If you have a little time for lunch while you are in San Francisco, please let me know. We would be so pleased to meet you.

Regards,

Marcy

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:58:02 -0400

Hi Marcy,

I’m at the halfway point of my trip to SF. Wonderful city, terrific weather.

I haven’t been to Fisherman’s Wharf or Pier 39, yet. But I did do Nob Hill on the cable car. And I hope to “stroll through Golden Gate Park’s Arboretum and [visit] other attractions at the Park.”

I was dismayed to see so many homeless bums, let’s not mince words, all over SF, especially near my hotel in the Tenderloin. Of course NYC has its “share” of homeless bums, but they’re not as concentrated as they are in SF. But the homeless here aren’t aggressive, though they can be scary. (Ever walk around the Tenderloin at 5 AM PST?) Have you or anyone in the SF LP proposed solutions to this infestation? I thought of chartering a couple of buses, entice as many homeless with free meals and warm nests, and busing them to the site of the Occupy Oakland and then stranding them there. What do you think about my “final solution” for SF’s homeless?

It seems you’re electing a new mayor next Tuesday. I saw my “cousin,” Leland Yee, is running. Has the LP endorsed a candidate or published its stance on the various issues on the ballot? I’m curious, Marcy, why are all the campaign posters basically alike in looks, format and size? And why aren’t the candidates’ party affiliation shown on the posters?

That’s all for now.

Talk to you.

Alton Yee

To: ay838@hotmail.com; lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com
Subject: What can a libertarian from NYC do in SF?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 21:23:14 -0700

Hello Alton,

Thank you for your e-mail! You ask what you should do while in San Francisco October 26 - November 10. If I were you, I would pick a few evenings to eat at our famous restaurants; visit our tourist stops which happen to be interesting (Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39, Nob Hill on the cable car), stroll through Golden Gate Park’s Arboretum and other attractions at the Park. But I am not you, and therefore, to allow you a wider perspective on what you should do in San Francisco, I am forwarding your e-mail to our Activist List list.

Our group is eclectic, so I am hoping for lots and varied suggestions.

Have a great time in San Francisco!

Regards,

Marcy

Subject: Libertarian Party of San Francisco California: What can a libertarian from NYC do in SF?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 21:16:55 -0500

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.lpsf.org/ from:
Alton Yee <ay838@hotmail.com>

Hello Marcy,

I am the Manhattan (NYC)LP’s current Director of Fund Raising (www.manhattanLP.org). FYI, we have our meetings on the second Monday each month. We will have our Oct meeting tomorrow. How did your meeting go this past Saturday? Do you have featured speakers? How many people usually attend?

Anyhow, I plan to be in SF from Oct 26 to Nov 10. I regret I won’t attend your Nov meeting. But while I’m in SF, what do you suggest I do? Are there forums or other meetings to attend? They don’t have to be “libertarian-centric.” I sometimes attend events and forums that bends left. Sometimes it’s good to expand your horizons, see what the others are doing. Agree?

So, that’s all for now.

Talk to you soon.

Alton

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you’re on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Yahoo! Groups
Switch to: [Text-Only](mailto:lpsf-activists-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional), [Daily Digest](mailto:lpsf-activists-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest) • UnsubscribeTerms of Use