re Intervention, WWII, Iraq and history

Einstein once said words to the effect that every person at some point makes the decision wether the universe is fundamentally a hostile place or not. This decision informs all other opinions. For that reson I will never change Brian Holtzs mind on the wisdom of intervention in Iraq nor him mind. Nevertheless the debate is worthwhile for it informs and entertains the libertarians on this list, and those they influence.

Here is my favorite writer Bill Bonner in today's www.dailreckoning.com discussing the comparison between the greatest generations War and our War On TERROR.

Any comparison between the "War on Terror" and WWII must be largely
fantasy, as near as we can determine. The terrorists - whoever they are -
have no divisions at all. No tanks. No bombers. No fighter jets. No
infantry. No artillery. No country. No reserves. No staff. No discipline.
No military tradition. No armaments factories. No railroads. No stocks of
fuel. No logistics to speak of. Nor anything else that marks a modern,
worthy enemy.

Yet, apparently intelligent people are still able to say that "we are in
WWIII."

Here is our question: If the human brain had the excess and unknown
capacity to create the Eiffel Tour and the Empire State Building, what
other capacity did it have? Did it have the capacity for putting 2 and 2
together...and getting 13? Did it have the capacity for committing strange
and unbelievable acts of absurdity...like the War on Terror and Liars'
Loans?

Phil,

I'm not sure what you're saying the connection is between a person's belief on whether or not the universe is fundamentally a hostile place, and their views on international military intervention.

I can see how someone who didn't see the universe as fundamentally hostile would be less hostile to "foreigners" and thus more accepting of people of another nationality having a military presence, but even this doesn't seem like a hard and fast rule. There are lots of people on both sides of the intervention question who supposedly believe in God, and thus at least in theory see the universe as a fundamentally benevolent place (unless they believe in an angry or jealous god, I suppose).

Love & Liberty,
          <<< starchild >>>