re: assault on Cusok at HRC&Interview w/ Michalangelo Signorelli at KPFA

Re: [queervision] re: assault & Interview w/ Michalangelo Signorelli

Okay, this is precisely why I didn't want LPSF or any LP candidate getting involved with this. The original story has changed, and now there's scope creep. And I got a vibe from the very beginning that this was how it would turn out.

The story has now changed to "so what if her behavior was disruptive?" As Libertarians, we believe in private property rights. As much as I dislike HRC, this was a private, invitation-only event held in a privately-owned venue. If someone was disruptive and refused requests to leave the event, and literally lifting her up by her arms and off her feet to carry her out of the room was the only way to end the disruption, then I don't believe it was excessive. This isn't a case of taxpayer-funded cops bruising a protester who was on public property, but they're using language like "excessive force" as if it were somehow analogous. If she refused to leave a private event after being asked to do so, then she was trespassing, and her rights were not violated. Back in Tennessee, we were allowed to shoot trespassers. Nobody would have raised an eyebrow at bruised arms.

As for the scope creep, this has now become an opportunity for expanding elder abuse laws? And ENDA? Are you kidding me? Having helped with a stroke-incapacitated grandparent, I know that you can bruise an older person just helping them get up out of the bathtub or off the toilet. I've never met her, but especially if she is a heavier woman, the mere act of lifting her up off her feet by her arms easily could have caused the bruising in the photo. And don't even get me started on ENDA.

If they can produce a video showing (or witnesses saying) that she was complying with the directions of the people who paid for the venue, and she was assaulted regardless, then LPSF should speak up on her behalf. But, until then, I have to say that the private security guards hired for the event are innocent until proven guilty, and we should keep silent publicly, not aligning ourselves with either side of the dispute. (And, of course, if video surfaces corroborating HRC's version of the story, then it's only fair to speak up on their behalf.)

The moral of the story is: if you want to protest someone or something, do it out front on the sidewalk, where you have every bit as much right to be there as they do. But if you go onto private property and cause a fuss, be ready to be asked to leave that property, and either immediately comply, or risk injury from being forcibly removed.

Rob

Iolmisha@... wrote: