Rant by Bill Maher concerning California

Hello all,

“New Rule: Conservatives Who Love to Brag About American Exceptionalism Must Come Here to California” is a rant by Bill Maher, the host of HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” and former host of “Politically Incorrect.” Maher is the most unfunny comedian ever. He’s smug, stupid, insipid and disgusting. It’s embarassing to hear him curse on the air just so he can show how naughty he is. And in his rant, he liberally used “shit” and “bullshit,” just to show how naughty and what he thinks is cleverness.

Anyhow, in this rant, Maher thinks he’s telling off conservatives by bragging how California is the exceptional left liberal state that has done everything right. One gem is this paragraph:

Since then [2010], everything Republicans say can’t or won’t work – gun control, immigration reform, high-speed rail – California is making work. And everything conservatives claim will unravel the fabric of our society – universal healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, gay marriage, medical marijuana – has only made California stronger. And all we had to do to accomplish that was vote out every single Republican. Without a Republican governor and without a legislature being cock-blocked by Republicans, a $27 billion deficit was turned into a surplus, continuing the proud American tradition of Republicans blowing a huge hole in the budget and then Democrats coming in and cleaning it up.

Is he misstating anything here? I’m not from California so I must ask whether you guys actually “vote out every single Republican”? And is California really making high-speed rail, a certain boondoggle, work? How could a $27 billion deficit be turned into a surplus when California continues to spend on boondoggles like high-speed rail and have billions of dollars of unfunded pension liabilities?

Here’s another gem:

In lots of areas, California seems to have decided not to wait around for the knuckle-draggers and the selfish libertarian states to get on board. They can mock “European style democracies” all they want, we are building one here, and people like it – the same way when Americans come back from a vacation in Europe they all say the same thing: “Wow, you can see titties on the beach!” But they also remark on the clean air, the modern, first world infrastructure, the functioning social safety net, and bread that doesn’t taste like powdered glue. And they wonder, “Why can’t we get that here?” Unless they’re Republicans, in which case they wonder, “How can people live like that?”

What “selfish libertarian states” is he talking about? Do you guys really have a “functioning social safety net”? BTW, I’ve read somewhere that for every dollar targeted to “safety net” or welfare–let’s not mince words–recipients, between three and thirteen cents or an average of seven cents actually goes to the targeted recipents. The balance goes to the “Welfare Industrial Complex,” which consists of all those employees who administer the welfare programs, such as case workers, social workers, etc. Also included in the WIC, are researchers, statisticians, office supply providers, office space providers, etc. Do you suppose Maher know this inconvenient truth about welfare?

You could read his rant here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/bill-maher-california_b_3999675.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular.

You might want to read it with an empty stomach, else you might puke. Please provide your comments. Did Maher get anything right? Did you find anything witty about his rant, which he no doubt believe is very witty. I don’t suppose you could find anything he was wrong about, no?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Alton