Proposed Ballot Argument (298 words)

There is a key sentence in this Charter Amendment that isn’t mentioned in the ballot summary. It appears twice, once with respect to employees hired on or before January 9, 2009, and once with respect to employees hired after that date.
That sentence reads as follows:

“In the event that the contribution rates set forth above do not cover the entire Normal Cost, the Employer shall contribute the balance into the RHCTF (Retiree Health Care Trust Fund).”

What this means in plain English:
If retiree health care costs end up not being fully covered by the 2% or less of their salaries that city employees are required to pay toward those costs, their employer – YOU, the taxpayer – will be required to make up the difference!

Even if the city were near bankrupt, with schools closing, roads full of potholes, hospitals falling apart, parks full of trash and weeds, and police and fire protection virtually non-existent, it wouldn't matter. The gold-plated health care plans provided to people who worked for the city decades ago, and their dependents, would still have first claim on your tax dollars if Prop. A passes.

There's no trust fund for MUNI maintenance.

There's no trust fund for the upkeep of San Francisco parks.

There's no trust fund to ensure our streets are properly paved.

But well-paid government employees – including the Supervisors who put this measure on the ballot – want to make sure THEY have a trust fund that will take care of them.

We say let them share an uncertain future with the rest of us. Vote NO on Prop. A.

Libertarian Party of San Francisco

P.S. – If a ballot measure is too long, unclear, confusing, or complicated, it's best to vote it down. If you don’t understand it, it’s irresponsible to pass it.

Hi Starchild! I love this version--I wouldn't change a thing, just the word game. Do as many versions as you like--the more versions of this argument, the better. It makes a very clear point and should get the populace upset!

Do you want me to pick you up on the way to the Department of Elections? How about around 10:15?

Thanks!
Aubrey

Wow, that's good. *gathers jaw from floor*

Might want to omit the P.S. on some variants in case the DoE plays games to push the word count up.

I say run with that, and use my text or Aubrey's if you're looking for variety. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the Dept. of Elections today to drop off copies myself.

- Matt

One minor edit: replace "Proposition" with "Measure". I believe Proposition is the state's language, and the city website uses Measure.

- Matt

Thank you, Matt! I guess I'm sort of an old hand at this by now, and have developed a kind of populist writing style designed to maximize outrage. :wink:

Regarding the formatting, what I do is print out a bunch of copies and then make edits by hand, so if the word count ends up high I can always cross off some stuff here and there. "San Francisco" they count as one word, by the way.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

You're probably right. People tend to colloquially use the term "proposition", and I think I have before in ballot arguments, but I think technically it is "measure" at the local level. Will do.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

We were wrong -- turns out it does say "proposition" and not "measure" in the Voter Handbook, at least the one I looked at there from 2012. I'm not sure they're consistent on that; I've tended to get confused on the terms myself. Not that it matters greatly.

Anyway, Aubrey and I submitted 33 copies of the ballot argument -- all 30 of the ones I printed, and then we started submitting more of Matt's until the clock ran out and we had to turn everything in. They do the lottery at 2pm, so we'll find out after that whether one of ours was selected as the official opponent argument.

Republican gadfly Terrence Faulkner submitted some arguments he usually does (he's the main one besides us who routinely files opposition arguments), but one of the election works said he only turned in a total of about 10, on two different measures. So my best guess is the odds are around 6:1 in favor of us getting it, but we'll see.

Love & Liberty,
                                  ((( starchild )))