Proposal and Tender Offer of Funds: "No on A" Get Out the Vote Drive

Activists,

I believe Measure A is setting up San Francisco for a budget-busting explosion of retiree health care costs that could result in a Detroit-style municipal bankruptcy. Starchild's reading of the law seems accurate and paints an ugly picture. The unions are clamoring in support, and the proposal was rushed in at the last minute. It's a good issue that we could use to galvanize libertarians who support fiscal responsibility.

I suggest we mail (or e-mail, for those with addresses available) a large percentage of San Francisco's 3,000 registered Libertarians, with:

1) A brief "Voter Guide" type pamphlet, along the lines of what MoveOn, Campaign for Liberty, etc., send out in bigger national elections.
2) A request for donations to continue the effort, and an invitation to the LPSF's events.
3) Reference information on the LPSF and other groups in the area with similar aims/focus.

I understand that such efforts are expensive, but I want to help defray some of that cost.

If the party is willing to support this effort, I will contribute up to $2,000 to the cost of any mailing, on a 1-to-1 matching basis. That is, whatever dollar amount others provide, up to that cap, I'll match with my own funds. I'd like to see others fund the effort vigorously enough for it to have a meaningful impact, so I'll open up the match if we can raise $500 from others.

Funds that are not spent this year could be held over for following years or elections, as I anticipate we'll need such efforts regularly.

It is my intent that this would eventually become a self-sustaining annual effort to inform voters, and that we could perhaps leverage it to expand the local party base.

Thoughts?

- Matt

Hi Matt and All,

Of course this is a great idea. If we fund the projects with donations, I would be more than willing to help with work and a small donation.

I am interested in what you visualize as a "pamphlet" -- how big, how fancy. I suggest that Aubrey consider placing this subject on next meeting's agenda, where we could discuss objective, message, recipients, and appearance.

Thanks, Matt. You the best.

Marcy

Matt,

Thank you for your generous offer! I like the idea of a self-sustaining annual effort to inform voters and expand the local party base. Clearly there are a number of things to think about and plan here, but it is one of the types of things we need to be doing. We should make this an agenda topic for our next meeting.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Matt and All,

Of course this is a great idea. If we fund the projects with donations, I would be more than willing to help with work and a small donation.

I am interested in what you visualize as a "pamphlet" -- how big, how fancy. I suggest that Aubrey consider placing this subject on next meeting's agenda, where we could discuss objective, message, recipients, and appearance.

What I had in mind was on the order of a one-pager. Just a sheet people can take with them to the polling place or use as a launch point for their own research.

Maybe a three column table in landscape orientation:

1) Initiative
2) Recommendation, if any (Yes/No)
3) Elaboration on the issue.

We could supplement it using the website, particularly for people getting emails. Links to initiative text, for example.

I would be happy to own putting draft materials together for review if that's of value.

- Matt

Hi Matt,

If you could draw a sample to show us at the next meeting, that would be great. In the past, we sent out the small 3x5 postcards with recommendations prior to elections, but we could use for visibility's sake sending out something a little more substantial, even if it is a bigger postcards.

Marcy

Hi All! I see everyone is up late tonight burning the midnight oil. Matt, thanks for coming up with your generous offer and idea. Count me in for $100.00. Yes, this idea and strategy for pushing the No on A vote will be on the agenda next month and will be the focus of our meeting. Since many folks start voting by mail quite early these days (I estimate it can start as early as October 7), September is the month for action.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey,

You said earlier you would be taking the final rebuttal to the Department of Elections first thing Monday morning. Let me know if you need any help.

Marcy

Thank you for your most generous offer. I'm in for $100.

Mike

$25
Denny

This is a very good and very important plan.

Retirement benefits are bankrupting municipalities all over the US. New
York City, in spite of having just about the healthiest economy, is going
bankrupt because of retirement costs.

It is difficult to believe that San Francisco plans to increase retirement
benefits in this environment.

Most importantly, this is an issue we can win on.

Sam Sloan

Thank you, Denny. Not only did you come through with your pledge right a way, you also used the LPSF website's PayPal "underused" button.

Marcy