Prop G Rebuttal by Phil [1 Attachment]

Hi All. Here's Phil's rebuttal to the flipper's ballot measure. It's clocked in at 246. He prefers to add in our website name at the end for folks to go to, but I feel this is plugging and not appropriate in a ballot measure argument. It's only one word, so not a big deal either way. Please review.

Similar legislation was proposed in Sacramento with the
expressed intent to protect rent controlled tenants from eviction. A
very worthy goal.

People who have to endure the accumulated inflation all at once when they get
evicted are worthy of compassion. They are thrown into the boiling pot all
at once while the rest of us are only slowly cooked by inflation.

The question is: will this
law achieve its goals? Most laws
have unintended consequences. No one can
predict how the unruly human participants in the real estate market will
respond. However we can speculate.

The San Francisco Tenants Union says that an empty property sells for 20% more
than an occupied building. This alone has incentivized owners to evict tenants
and leave properties fallow for five years until the rent control protection
expires. This law proposes a tax of up to 24% on properties held less than
five years, doubling the incentive to send the property out to pasture, further
reducing the available supply. It seems likely that this law just might make
matters worse.

You, dear concerned voter, are searching for a solution.

Economist John Maynard Keynes stated that not one person in a million can
identify the causes of inflation. You can prove him wrong. First educate yourself about the root causes
of inflation, then spread the word, and finally vote accordingly. It is
time we struck at the root of the problem, not flailing at the branches.
Libertarian Party of San Francisco

Thanks, Phil, for handling this one!
Aubrey

Thanks Phil....nice.

Mike

Michael F Denny
Mike@DennyConnect.com<mailto:Mike@DennyConnect.com>
(415) 750-9340

Hmm. Hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but I thought Phil's initial argument was much stronger.

I'm not sure how mentioning the legislation in Sacramento helps our argument. I think we should only mention it if we have some data about how that measure went badly (either at the polls or in its implementation). Do we?

I'm also wary about where the logic of talking about the greater selling price of an empty building is leading. There's too easy a statist counter-argument to the statement that owners are incentivized to evict tenants and wait 5 years until the rent control protections expire -- clearly the solution is that the rent control protections need to be extended for a longer period of time!

Finally, I'm not keen on telling voters to "educate yourself about the root causes of inflation" -- better to tell them succinctly ourselves, if we're going to bring this up at all.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild. I'll let you and Phil hash this one out, but I'm still going to the DOE at 9AM. I just looked at the web to see if I could find additional information about Sacramento and flipping and couldn't find anything. I don't think there's time for a major rewrite at this point--maybe just take out the weakest section and add something more convincing?

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hmm. Hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but I thought Phil's initial argument was much stronger.

I'm not sure how mentioning the legislation in Sacramento helps our argument. I think we should only mention it if we have some data about how that measure went badly (either at the polls or in its implementation). Do we?

I'm also wary about where the logic of talking about the greater selling price of an empty building is leading. There's too easy a statist counter-argument to the statement that owners are incentivized to evict tenants and wait 5 years until the rent control protections expire -- clearly the solution is that the rent control protections need to be extended for a longer period of time!

Finally, I'm not keen on telling voters to "educate yourself about the root causes of inflation" -- better to tell them succinctly ourselves, if we're going to bring this up at all.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Thanks Phil….nice.

Could someone please send me our final rebuttal to G? I have a realtor friend who is actively campaigning against it.

Mike

Michael F Denny
(415) 750-9340

Hi Mike,

Here you go. I'm also sending you the attachments for the opponent argument and rebuttal on Prop. C -- apparently both Aubrey and the Elections Dept. had trouble opening the files, as I have an older version of Microsoft Word -- in the hopes you can open them, save them in your version of whatever word processing program you use, and forward them to the elections folks, who need electronic copies so they don't have to transcribe what we submitted in hard copy. They're at <publications@sfgov.org>.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

No On C (Children’s Fund)-2014 (37 KB)

No On C (Rebuttal)-2014 (41.5 KB)

No On G rebuttal (2014) (60 KB)

What format are they in? I can’t open them.

Mike

Michael F Denny
(415) 750-9340