petition to release shoe throwing reporter

Starchild,

You seem to imply some amount of punishment is warranted. Would you not agree his actions were heroic and not criminal in the least?

Warm regards, Michael

Michael,

I have mixed feelings about it. On a personal level it was heartwarming to hear of this forceful expression of dissent against the most powerful government official in the world, but as far as whether such actions should in general be free of criminal penalties, I'm kind of conflicted. If his assault had succeeded, it would of course have amounted to inflicting a penalty on Bush without due process. One can argue that the circumstances by which people like Bush are effectively protected from being held accountable obviate the need for such niceties. Either position seems potentially fraught with unintended consequences, and I think arguments on both sides should be considered. However I definitely don't think the Iraqi journalist should face any worse punishment than he would for similarly assaulting an ordinary person. The politically powerful do not deserve any more legal protection than anyone else, and if the consequences of following that doctrine were to lead to an increase in assaults, assassinations, etc., I think it would be a price worth paying.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

You wrote:

whether such actions should in general be free of criminal penalties,
I'm kind of conflicted. If his assault had succeeded, it would of
course have amounted to inflicting a penalty on Bush without due
process.

Bush has been using his office to dodge due process. The chances are close to zero he'll ever show up for due process.

Does this get him off the hook and turn al-Zaidi into a criminal?

Warm regards, Michael

It doesn't get Bush off the hook. That much seems straightforward enough. As for the other half of the question, maybe it would be a good topic to discuss in person at one of the Meetups.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))