OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)

It is a sad and shameful sentence. This quote from the Baltimore Sun story about the news ( http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bradley-manning-sentence-20130821,0,3733379.story ) sums it up well:

"When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system," said Ben Wizner, director of the American Civil Liberty Union's Speech, Privacy and Technology Project.

Bradley Manning remains a hero and martyr to the cause of justice, and his continued imprisonment will be a continuing stain on the honor and reputation of the U.S. government (what little it has). For those who may have forgotten or not been following the story closely, Bradley Manning exposed the "Collateral Murder" video of U.S. government troops firing from the air at civilians. Two of the members of the unit filmed in that video have publicly apologized to Iraqi families for their role in those war crimes:

http://antiwar.com/blog/2010/04/16/collateral-murder-veterans-apologize-to-iraqi-families/

More broadly, by exposing a large number of documents wrongfully being kept "classified" (i.e. secret from the American people), Bradley Manning blew the whistle on the trend toward secret government in the United States, a trend which is antithetical to democracy and holding those in power accountable to the people.

If you do not know what "your" government is doing, you cannot exercise oversight over that government. And if the people cannot exercise effective oversight, then the people no longer run the country. It's that simple.

The traitors who have persecuted Bradley Manning were unable to prove at trial that any of the information he released actually harmed anyone.

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

And those who would be the forces of good, are so busy with the subject of what is good, they can do nothing to reverse the evil.

So I ask anyone here, what value is the commentary on how evil this sentence is, when the commentary consumes the time needed to do something about it?

John,

Read the subject line. See you there if you can make it.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

Yet another demonstration? OK, so we all have different ways of seeking redress.

BTW, I am not so sure I, as a taxpayer, want to pay for Bradley Manning's (or anyone else's) gender change hormone therapy. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323665504579028563211609706.html

Marcy

Demonstrations only prove impotence and lack of determination.

Do parents "demonstrate" in front of their house to stop the teen's drunken party. Then maybe, they hand-over the keys and credit card, to get more booze??? !!!

The ONLY reason for a "demonstration" is the building of SOLIDARITY. Otherwise it is a show of nothing but weakness. And solidarity is no pansy-ass association. It is a highly disciplined, sophisticated, and coordinated force, with targeted results.

I'd far rather pay for Chelsea's (nee Bradley's) gender change hormone therapy than pay for her to be locked in jail! Let's not get distracted from the real injustice here.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

Tell that to the demonstrators who've toppled governments in places like Egypt, Ukraine, the Philippines, etc.

I have no issues with trying to make what we're doing more effective. I do have an issue with just bad-muothing it to no effect. Whatever you want to do, some whistleblower supporters having a demonstration isn't stopping you from doing it.

I took the opportunity while at the rally to put up a few fliers in the vicinity, and also found out about something else happening on the 28th, which I will post about separately.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

I would rather not pay for either his/her sex change operation or his/her incarceration.
Forcing me to pay for either is equally a violation of my rights.

He may be a libertarian hero for exposing government secrets, but....he ought to be on the libertarian shit list for expecting taxpayers to pay for his sex change operation.

Les

Your payment to have him arrested and imprisoned is much more a violation of his rights and mine also.

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)

I would rather not pay for either his/her sex change operation or his/her incarceration.
Forcing me to pay for either is equally a violation of my rights.

He may be a libertarian hero for exposing government secrets, but....he ought to be on the libertarian shit list for expecting taxpayers to pay for his sex change operation.

Les

To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)

I&#39;d far rather pay for Chelsea&#39;s \(nee Bradley&#39;s\) gender change hormone therapy than pay for her to be locked in jail\! Let&#39;s not get distracted from the real injustice here\.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

On

Aug 22, 2013, at 12:12 PM, lpsfactivists wrote:

Yet another demonstration? OK, so we all have different ways of seeking redress.

BTW, I am not so sure I, as a taxpayer, want to pay for Bradley Manning's (or anyone else's) gender change hormone therapy. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323665504579028563211609706.html

Marcy

>
> John,
>
> Read the subject line. See you there if you can make it.
>
> Love & Liberty,
> ((( starchild )))
>
>
>
> > And those who would be the forces of good, are so busy with the subject of what is good, they can do nothing to reverse the evil.
> >
> > So I ask anyone here, what value is the commentary on how evil this sentence is, when the commentary consumes the time needed to do something about it?
> >
> > From: Starchild <sfdreamer@...>
> > To: Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution <RonPaul-36@...>; LPSF Discussion List <lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
> > Cc: Bay Area Liberty <ba-liberty@yahoogroups.com>; Bay Area Faeries <bayareafaeries@...>; SFBay Cannabis Community List <SFBayCannabisCommunity@yahoogroups.com>; isf23@yahoogroups.com; LPSF Activist List <lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:35 PM
> > Subject: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
> >
> > It is a sad and shameful sentence. This quote from the Baltimore Sun story about the news ( http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bradley-manning-sentence-20130821,0,3733379.story ) sums it up well:
>

>

> > > "When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system," said Ben Wizner, director of the American Civil Liberty Union's Speech, Privacy and Technology Project.
> >
> > Bradley Manning remains a hero and martyr to the cause of justice, and his continued imprisonment will be a continuing stain on the honor and reputation of the U.S. government (what little it has). For those who may have forgotten or not been following the story closely, Bradley Manning exposed the "Collateral Murder" video of U.S. government troops firing from the air at civilians. Two of the members of the unit filmed in that video have publicly apologized to Iraqi families for their role in those war crimes:
> >
> > http://antiwar.com/blog/2010/04/16/collateral-murder-veterans-apologize-to-iraqi-families/
> >
> > More broadly, by exposing a large number of documents wrongfully being kept "classified" (i.e. secret from the American people), Bradley Manning blew the whistle on the trend toward secret government in the United States, a trend which is antithetical to democracy and holding those in power accountable to the people.
> >
> > If you do not know what "your" government is doing, you cannot exercise oversight over that government. And if the people cannot exercise effective oversight, then the people no longer run the country. It's that simple.
> >
> > The traitors who have persecuted Bradley Manning were unable to prove at trial that any of the information

he released actually harmed anyone.

> >
> > Love & Liberty,
> > ((( starchild )))
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

lpsf-discuss-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

I agree with John. Yes, coercive taxation for any purpose is a rights violation, but complaining about the government paying for Chelsea's sex change seems petty to me under the circumstances. I mean for crying out loud, they just took away all her military benefits and gave her a dishonorable discharge, for doing nothing wrong! I didn't hear anyone expressing outrage about having to pay for her to be jailed for 35 years or whatever fraction of that she ends up serving. At about $40,000 per prisoner per year (that's around the figure I saw quoted for the annual cost of incarcerating a prisoner in California), it's a pretty safe bet that her incarceration bill is going to be far higher than the cost of some hormones or even of gender reassignment surgery.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

Libertarians are humans (really!); therefore, as everyone else, forceful taxation becomes perfectly OK when it funds our pet projects? But, I am so sick of paying all the taxes I pay, that I will depart from that perfectly human trait, and draw the line at paying for anyone's sex change.

Unlike Les, though, I am not entirely ready to relegate Manning to the libertarian sh-t list -- just to the liberal roster. Liberals expect taxpayers to fund just about everything these days, why shouldn't he.

Marcy

Marcy,

You ask whether coericve taxation "becomes perfectly OK when it funds our pet projects? Maybe you skimmed over where I said that "coercive taxation for any purpose is a rights violation".

I get the impression you think being forced to pay for someone's sex change is more objectionable than being forced to pay to incarcerate someone who shouldn't be in jail. If you feel they are equally objectionable (even though the incarceration almost certainly costs way more), why have you complained only about the former?

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

How about paying for the collateral murder, the attempted coverup, the prosecution, and the imprisonment of Manning? Given the choice, I'd rather pay for Marion Barry's crack smoking. Then Mannings's sex change wouldn't even be on the table.

And then after forcing payment for all those, then the state is according to those, forcing the payment for Manning's sex change. If we have failed to draw the line, long before a sex change, we are already lost.

Hi Starchild,

No, I did not skim over your comment, since that was my point. Forceful taxation is not my cup of tea, period. It is bad enough to have to pay taxes for government's requirements, but when ordinary citizens start making additional requirements for which I have to pay, that is just more than I can handle. That is why you see my expression of ire now -- simply a matter of enough is enough.

Marcy

Most of us on this list have been ranting against forceful taxation forever, just as I am ranting now against the additional taxation that comes from ordinary citizens demanding additional services that were not there before, such as sex change operations in military prisons.

BTW, regarding "Collateral Murder," how is that a new revelation? One would have to be living under a rock not to be aware of the atrocities committed by all sides in all wars. Hence my long history of opposing all wars and interventions, as well as all the wasted taxpayer money that goes with them.

Marcy

I think you have lost your moral compass. Manning is not an ordinary citizen in ordinary conditions. He is a hero in the clutches of nefarious forces and these forces are on the public payroll.

A sex reassignment is the least that decent people should be doing for him, under the circumstances. This is especially true, since the same so-called decent people funded the collateral murder, Manning exposed and they are funding his wrongful imprisonment.

The responsibility for these wrongful circumstances, is in the same blood-soaked hands as murdered the Reuters journalists, not Manning. And at this stage in the game, those hands are the American taxpayer, funding the atrocities and finding themselves in the same moral and ethical dilemma as the so-called good citizens of Germany found themselves.

Would they then have objected to additional costs for the more humane treatment of the Jews? And in doing so, could they make any claim to a moral compass?

NO! Absolutely not.

I have to agree with John, sort of.

IMHO Manning should NOT be imprisoned for 35 years (at taxpayer expense). Manning is a hero.

But if the PTB are going to imprison Manning then the least they can do is provide decent healthcare, including the sex change so she can align her body with her true gender identity.

If you don't like paying the healthcare expenses of prisoners, then think about which prisoners (like Manning) should be set free. I can think of a whole lot more that don't belong in prison, starting with all whistleblowers and continuing on to everyone convicted of any sort of victimless andother made-up crimes.

Nina

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
--Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

John,

We already had the conversation regarding Manning's hero status, and punishment that should/should not be allotted to him. No point you once again bringing out the Nazi card, or me again asking what did Manning think was going to happen to him. Also, already discussed ad infinitum on this list is who is really responsible for government's atrocities -- those committed in war, domestically, those that involve loss of life or loss of liberty, and those that involve taking people's hard earned income by force. The new discussion I was posing is whether we libertarians should or should not approve of one more government "service.". I say no, you say yes. That is fine with me.

Marcy

May I point out the larger implications of Manning's request for sex-change treatment? Our government routinely abuses prisoners by denying health care. The Supreme Court has just declined a delay in releasing CA prison inmates because the lack of medical care constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. Libertarians should, accordingly, support any and every expansion of medical care for government prisoners, at least until such time as the government recognizes its duty to the people it locks up.

In the case of Pvt. Manning, taxation has no part in the issue. Private donors would certainly cover the cost. The issue is whether or not the government would allow Manning to take the medication provided for him. Comparison to the saga of our own Steve Kubby is obvious.

On the other hand, championing the cause of a sex change for Manning does distract from the real issues his disclosures have raised. Antigovernment issues for all corners of the political landscape show up in the material, for example, administration efforts to force other countries to accept Monsanto's GMO crops. The government profits by having the spotlight on Manning, himself, instead of the truth he revealed.

Harland Harrison
LP of San Mateo County CA

Correct, I will not be distracted from gaining Manning's freedom.
The major barrier to his re-assignment is his imprisonment.

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 11:49 AM

May I point out the larger implications of Manning's request for sex-change treatment? Our government routinely abuses prisoners by denying health care. The Supreme Court has just declined a delay in releasing CA prison inmates because the lack of medical care constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. Libertarians should, accordingly, support any and every expansion of medical care for government prisoners, at least until such time as the government recognizes its duty to the people it locks up.

In the case of Pvt. Manning, taxation has no part in the issue. Private donors would certainly cover the cost. The issue is whether or not the government would allow Manning to take the medication provided for him. Comparison to the saga of our own Steve Kubby is obvious.

On the other hand, championing the cause of a sex change for Manning does distract from the real issues his disclosures have raised. Antigovernment issues for all corners of the political landscape show up in the material, for example, administration efforts to force other countries to accept Monsanto's GMO crops. The government profits by having the spotlight on Manning, himself, instead of the truth he revealed.

Harland Harrison
LP of San Mateo County CA

Objet : [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)

John,

We already had the conversation regarding Manning's hero status, and punishment that should/should not be

allotted to him. No point you once again bringing out the Nazi card, or me again asking what did Manning think was going to happen to him. Also, already discussed ad infinitum on this list is who is really responsible for government's atrocities -- those committed in war, domestically, those that involve loss of life or loss of liberty, and those that involve taking people's hard earned income by force. The new discussion I was posing is whether we libertarians should or should not approve of one more government "service.". I say no, you say yes. That is fine with me.

Marcy

I think you have lost your moral compass. Manning is not an ordinary citizen in ordinary conditions. He is a hero

in the clutches of nefarious forces and these forces are on the public payroll.

A sex reassignment is the least that decent people should be doing for him, under the circumstances. This is especially true, since the same so-called decent people funded the collateral murder, Manning exposed and they are funding his wrongful imprisonment.

The responsibility for these wrongful circumstances, is in the same blood-soaked hands as murdered the Reuters journalists, not Manning. And at this stage in the game, those hands are the American taxpayer, funding the atrocities and finding themselves in the same moral and ethical dilemma as the so-called good citizens of Germany found themselves.

Would they then have objected to additional costs for the more humane treatment of the Jews? And in doing so, could they make any claim to a moral compass?Â

NO! Absolutely

not. Â

>________________________________
> From: lpsfactivists <amarcyb@...>
>To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 3:55 AM
>Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
>
>
>

>Most of us on this list have been ranting against forceful taxation forever, just as I am ranting now against the additional taxation that comes from ordinary citizens demanding additional services that were not there before, such as sex change operations in military prisons.
>
>BTW, regarding "Collateral

Murder," how is that a new revelation? One would have to be living under a rock not to be aware of the atrocities committed by all sides in all wars. Hence my long history of opposing all wars and interventions, as well as all the wasted taxpayer money that goes with them.

>
>Marcy
>
>>
>> How about paying for the collateral murder, the attempted coverup, the prosecution, and the imprisonment of Manning? Given the choice, I'd rather pay for Marion Barry's crack smoking. Then Mannings's sex change wouldn't even be on the table.
>>
>>
>> And then after forcing payment for all those, then the state is according to those, forcing the

payment for Manning's sex change. If we have failed to draw the line, long before a sex change, we are already lost.

>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >________________________________
>> > From: Starchild <sfdreamer@>
>> >To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>> >Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 2:40 AM
>> >Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >ÂÂ
>> >Marcy,
>> >
>> >You ask whether coericve taxation "becomes perfectly OK when it funds our pet projects? Maybe you skimmed

over where I said that "coercive taxation for any purpose is a rights violation".

>> >
>> >I get the impression you think being forced to pay for someone's sex change is more objectionable than being forced to pay to incarcerate someone who shouldn't be in jail. If you feel they are equally objectionable (even though the incarceration almost certainly costs way more), why have you complained only about the former?
>> >
>> >Love & Liberty,
>> >((( starchild )))
>> >
>> >
>> >> Libertarians are humans (really!); therefore, as everyone else, forceful taxation becomes perfectly OK when it funds our pet projects? But, I am so sick of paying all the taxes I pay, that I will depart from that perfectly human trait, and draw the line at paying for

anyone's sex change.

>> >>
>> >> Unlike Les, though, I am not entirely ready to relegate Manning to the libertarian sh-t list -- just to the liberal roster. Liberals expect taxpayers to fund just about everything these days, why shouldn't he.
>> >>
>> >> Marcy
>> >>
>> >> >
>> >> > I agree with John. Yes, coercive taxation for any purpose is a rights violation, but complaining about the government paying for Chelsea's sex change seems petty to me under the circumstances. I mean for crying out loud, they just took away all her military benefits and gave her a dishonorable discharge, for doing nothing wrong! I didn't

hear anyone expressing outrage about having to pay for her to be jailed for 35 years or whatever fraction of that she ends up serving. At about $40,000 per prisoner per year (that's around the figure I saw quoted for the annual cost of incarcerating a prisoner in California), it's a pretty safe bet that her incarceration bill is going to be far higher than the cost of some hormones or even of gender reassignment surgery.

>> >> >
>> >> > Love & Liberty,
>> >> > ((( starchild )))
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > > Your payment to have him arrested and imprisoned is much more a violation of his rights and mine also.
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> > > From: leslie

mangus <lesliemangus@>

>> >> > > To: "lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com" <lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
>> >> > > Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:33 PM
>> >> > > Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> > > I would rather not pay for either his/her sex change operation or his/her incarceration.
>> >> > > Forcing me to pay for either is equally a violation of my rights.
>> >> > >
>> >> >

> He may be a libertarian hero for exposing government secrets, but....he ought to be on the libertarian shit list for expecting taxpayers to pay for his sex change operation.

>> >> > >
>> >> > > Les
>> >> > >
>> >> > > From: Starchild <sfdreamer@>
>> >> > > To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>> >> > > Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:00 PM
>> >> > > Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Re: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
>> >> > >
>> >> > > I'd far rather pay for Chelsea's (nee Bradley's) gender change hormone therapy than pay for her

to be locked in jail! Let's not get distracted from the real injustice here.

>> >> > >
>> >> > > Love & Liberty,
>> >> > > ((( starchild )))
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> > > > Yet another demonstration? OK, so we all have different ways of seeking redress.
>> >> > > >
>> >> > > > BTW, I am not so sure I, as a taxpayer, want to pay for Bradley Manning's (or anyone else's) gender change hormone therapy. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323665504579028563211609706.html
>> >>

> > >

>> >> > > > Marcy
>> >> > > >
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > John,
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > Read the subject line. See you there if you can make it.
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > Love & Liberty,
>> >> > > > > ((( starchild )))
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > >

> >

>> >> > > > > > And those who would be the forces of good, are so busy with the subject of what is good, they can do nothing to reverse the evil.
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > So I ask anyone here, what value is the commentary on how evil this sentence is, when the commentary consumes the time needed to do something about it?
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > From: Starchild <sfdreamer@>
>> >> > > > > > To: Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution <RonPaul-36@>; LPSF Discussion List <lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
>> >> > > > > > Cc: Bay Area Liberty <ba-liberty@yahoogroups.com>; Bay Area Faeries <bayareafaeries@>; SFBay Cannabis Community List <SFBayCannabisCommunity@yahoogroups.com>; isf23@yahoogroups.com; LPSF Activist List <lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com>
>> >> > > > > > Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:35 PM
>> >> > > > > > Subject: [ba-liberty] OT: Bradley Manning gets 35 year prison - DEMONSTRATION TODAY, 5PM, FERRY BLDG. (Market & Embarcadero, SF)
>> >> > > > > >
>>

>> > > > > > It is a sad and shameful sentence. This quote from the Baltimore Sun story about the news ( http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bradley-manning-sentence-20130821,0,3733379.story ) sums it up well:

>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > > "When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system," said Ben Wizner, director of the American Civil Liberty Union's Speech, Privacy and Technology Project.
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > Bradley Manning remains a hero and martyr to the cause of justice, and his

continued imprisonment will be a continuing stain on the honor and reputation of the U.S. government (what little it has). For those who may have forgotten or not been following the story closely, Bradley Manning exposed the "Collateral Murder" video of U.S. government troops firing from the air at civilians. Two of the members of the unit filmed in that video have publicly apologized to Iraqi families for their role in those war crimes:

>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > http://antiwar.com/blog/2010/04/16/collateral-murder-veterans-apologize-to-iraqi-families/
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > More broadly, by exposing a large number of documents wrongfully being kept "classified" (i.e. secret from

the American people), Bradley Manning blew the whistle on the trend toward secret government in the United States, a trend which is antithetical to democracy and holding those in power accountable to the people.

>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > If you do not know what "your" government is doing, you cannot exercise oversight over that government. And if the people cannot exercise effective oversight, then the people no longer run the country. It's that simple.
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > The traitors who have persecuted Bradley Manning were unable to prove at trial that any of the information he released actually harmed anyone.
>> >> > > > > >
>> >> > > > > > Love & Liberty,
>> >> > > > > > (((

starchild )))