New version [1 Attachment]

278 words without counting the header and LP of SF

Still room for a punchy sentence or two. Thinking about adding something to the effect that these higher taxes and City Hall expenses add costs that encourage gentrification and push working families out of the City making this a City that can only accommodate the rich.

Michael

Opponents Argument Against Proposition W - Ordinance to increase real property transfer tax on properties of at least $5,000,000

Dubbed the "Mansion Tax" to enhance appeal to San Francisco's virulent class warriors, the San Francisco Examiner says this measure actually hits small business tenants and commercial real estate the hardest by increasing the transfer tax for both commercial and residential property sales.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that San Francisco already collects more transfer tax revenue than any city in California, up over 33% in the last 3 years. And San Francisco businesses already pay far more than their fair share, as proven by the $671M in business tax collection forecasts in the City's 2016-17 budget - an increase of 50% in just 4 years.

That proves Proposition W is not the simple "Tax the Rich" scheme its promoters would have you believe. These properties can represent the life savings of families heading towards retirement. As with all other regulations and taxes, increased property transfer taxes will hit average San Franciscans in pocketbook with higher prices for our daily coffee and dim sum.

The time has come for San Francisco citizens to tell City Hall to stop pitting us against each other and start trimming its own bloated nearly $10 billion dollar budget - up from just $6.48 billion in 2011.

It's the most lavish city budget in the US and maybe the world. That's roughly $12K in taxes collected per San Francisco resident, mostly for City Hall salaries and employee benefits. If every voter considered what they get from this tax and spend scheme, they'd see what it really is...a rich deceitful City Hall trick. It's class conflict created for the benefit of insiders at the expense of San Francisco citizens.

Wake up San Francisco. Stop the madness. Vote NO on Proposition W.

Libertarian Party of San Francisco

Great work Mike, love the Examiner and Chronicle citations, and love the message! I've often tried to hit them on this same point about benefitting themselves, the well-compensated politicians and government employees, at the expense of the rest of us.

I would suggest a slight modification of this sentence:

As with all other regulations and taxes, increased property transfer taxes will hit average San Franciscans in pocketbook with higher prices for our daily coffee and dim sum.

As with other taxes and regulations that hurt local businesses, higher property transfer taxes will hit average San Franciscans in the pocketbook with higher prices for our daily coffee and dim sum.

The main point being that technically it's just taxes on business that raise cost of living in the manner you describe (other types of taxes like taxes on individual income have other bad effects, such as contributing to individual and family poverty). I also thought it would be good to get the "hurt local businesses" phrase in there.

The change above would make the argument four words longer, so to keep the same word count you could also make the following two minor word-consolidating changes:

The time has come

Replace with "It's time"

for the benefit of insiders

Replace with "to benefit insiders"

Otherwise, looks great. I initially thought the phrase "a rich deceitful City Hall trick" was not quite grammatically clear, but on reflection decided that people will get the general sentiment just fine, and the ambiguity – we're not necessarily calling people at City Hall "rich", but it could be taken that way – is okay.

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

Cool, Mike. The statement, no – arguments come with headers already, so we don't need that. "Libertarian Party of San Francisco" does count toward the word total. We should add the website www.LPSF.org under that too (web URLs count as one word).

I see Ryan's cc'd on this thread; has he been added to the Activist list yet?

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

Thank you Starchild....most excellent.

See latest version that includes "Ever higher taxes and regulations raise the cost of living resulting in citizen displacement, gentrification and homelessness as only the rich can afford to live here."

299 words

Any last comments?

Mike

Opponents Argument Against Proposition W - Ordinance to increase real property transfer tax on properties of at least $5,000,000

Dubbed the "Mansion Tax" to enhance appeal to San Francisco's virulent class warriors, the San Francisco Examiner says this measure actually hits small business tenants and commercial real estate the hardest by increasing the transfer tax for both commercial and residential property sales.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that San Francisco already collects more transfer tax revenue than any city in California, up over 33% in the last 3 years. And San Francisco businesses already pay far more than their fair share, as proven by the $671M in business tax collection forecasts in the City's 2016-17 budget - an increase of 50% in just 4 years.

That proves Proposition W is not the simple "Tax the Rich" scheme its promoters would have you believe. These properties can represent the life savings of families heading towards retirement. Ever higher taxes and regulations raise the cost of living so only the rich can afford to live here resulting in citizen displacement, gentrification and homelessness. That means these additional property transfer taxes will hit average San Franciscans in the pocketbook with everything they buy here.

It's time for San Francisco citizens to tell City Hall to stop pitting us against each other and start trimming its own bloated nearly $10 billion dollar budget - up from just $6.48 billion in 2011.

It's the most lavish city budget in the US and maybe the world. That's roughly $12K in taxes collected per San Francisco resident, mostly for City Hall salaries and employee benefits. If every voter considered the little they get from this tax and spend scheme, they'd see what it really is...a rich deceitful City Hall trick. It's class conflict created to benefit insiders at the expense of San Francisco citizens.

www.LPSF.org<http://www.LPSF.org>

I like the new sentence, Mike! I would suggest dropping the word "citizen" and adding a comma after "living", dropping the "and" after "gentrification", and replacing "as only the rich can afford to live here" with "and a San Francisco affordable only for the rich." I want to somehow incorporate the following sentence too because it doesn't flow as well as your original now, but have to go see a client and don't have time to work on it now.

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

I think you hit it on the head with these suggestions Starchild....done. Thanks

Mike

That proves Proposition W is not the simple "Tax the Rich" scheme its promoters would have you believe. These properties can represent the life savings of families heading towards retirement. Ever higher taxes and regulations raise the cost of living, resulting in displacement, gentrification, homelessness and a San Francisco affordable only for the rich. Be assured these additional property transfer taxes will hit average San Franciscans in the pocketbook with everything they buy here.

It's time for San Francisco citizens to tell City Hall to stop pitting us against each other and start trimming its own bloated nearly $10 billion dollar budget - up from just $6.48 billion in 2011.

It's the most lavish city budget in the US and maybe the world. That's roughly $12K in taxes collected per San Francisco resident, mostly for City Hall salaries and employee benefits. If every voter considered the little they get from this tax and spend scheme, they'd see what it really is...a rich deceitful City Hall trick. It's class conflict created to benefit insiders at the expense of San Francisco citizens.

www.LPSF.org<http://www.LPSF.org>

Hi Mike. Great argument and thanks for making the changes! Thank also to
Starchild, for the all the useful suggestions too. I think this one is all
wrapped up now. Sorry I am checking in late--had a long day at work.
Indeed Starchild was correct about the word count--no header is necessary
because of its placement in the Voters Handbook.

Thanks!
Aubrey

P.S. Just found out that the argument we signed against the BART bond
(Prop RR) with other groups was accepted by the Alameda County Registrar's
Office and will be printed in all 3 counties' Voters Handbooks. Rebuttal
due on Monday and I'll post the proponent's argument as I sort through
today's emails. Wendy will be handling the rebuttal, but we can provide
input if we want since I'm sure I'll sign the rebuttal too.