More on Matt

<mailto:patmurphy1@…> by pat murphy

Friday, November 7, 2003
Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval is reported ready to endorse Matt Gonzalez for mayor today, joining Supervisors Jake McGoldrick and Aaron Peskin already onboard the Gonzalez alliance.

Sandoval endorsed Angela Alioto in the general election, while McGoldrick and Peskin were early backers of Tom Ammiano.

And Joe O'Donoghue, president of the politically hefty Residential Builders Association, Wednesday declined a Willie Brown offer to negotiate Gavin Newsom's Work Force Housing plan in order to secure O'Donoghue's backing of Newsom.

"Newsom isn't a straight-up guy," O'Donoghue told the Sentinel.

"I personally endorse Matt completely, totally, absolutely, and I will urge the full RBA membership to endorse Matt on Tuesday," stated O'Donoghue.

Some thirteen hours after the polls closed Tuesday night, McGoldrick endorsed Gonzalez from the McGoldrick living room couch.

"It's really an honor for me to be in Jake McGoldrick's home," Gonzalez said.

"He's someone who has been fighting the most important neighborhood issues for the last couple of decades in this town.

"I think it is really significant for me to have this endorsement. He's been chair of the Land Use Committee, and is someone who really understands planning issues in this city and how it can affect neighborhoods when we make the wrong decisions," stated Gonzalez.

"My politics is his politics," McGoldrick returned.

"When I say my politics is his politics, I mean we really do work on doing good public policy, to work with everybody, and that's what he's doing.

"Getting elected president of the Board of Supervisors was no accident. It really was the result of Matt being able to work with all the different kinds of ideas that people on our Board have -- getting the support of an independent, getting the support of Democrats.

"And as a Green, I happen to think he is the best Democrat in the race.

"If someone wants to play the partisan card, this guy is the guy that Democrats will be able to depend upon to work together.

"Coalescing situations is at the heart of what Matt has been able to do.

"Matt is the candidate who will be able to work with the entire Board of Supervisors.

"The best person to represent Democratic values is Matt Gonzalez, who happens to be a registered Green.

"The best person to represent Republican values (Gavin Newsom), happens to be a registered Democrat, but in any other town he would be a Republican," added McGoldrick.

On Thursday morning, Gonzalez welcomed Peskin's endorsement given at Caffe Trieste in North Beach.

"The next mayor is going to have really difficult economic decisions to make, and I think Supervisor Peskin as chair of the Finance Committee is really someone who has been making those decisions and who has seen what those decisions look like and so to have his support is significant," explained Gonzalez.

Peskin contrasted Gonzalez with Newsom.

"I've served with these two gentlemen on the Board of Supervisors for the last three years, and I can certainly say that Matt is not subject to the politics of expedience in the same way the other candidate is," Peskin concluded.

The night before, 24 hours after the polls closed, Gonzalez supporters packed their Mission Headquarters, which had housed Willie Brown's reelection campaign effort.

"It's been a very interesting day," Gonzalez deadpanned.

"This morning we got up very early and started doing the morning TV talk shows.

"Willie Brown came out and he talked about how out of touch we are with San Francisco, and all that stuff.

"So these reporters come up and say 'Willie Brown says you are out of touch.'

"I say, well gee, I think if he stood election today the voters would reject him. I think Willie Brown is out of touch.

"I think it was Channel 5 who came up and said 'Mayor Willie Brown says you're from Outer Space.' I said, well gee, we're both from Texas -- I don't know what that means.

"Newsom is making a big deal that he's the only Democrat left in the race, and that my party is responsible for, you know, what happened in Florida.

"Let me just say more Democrats voted for George Bush than there are Green Party members in the United States.

"There are differences between me and my opponent. We just came from the Labor Council, and Supervisor Newsom has reinvented himself as man of the working people.

"Fascinating...this is a guy who says he's an entrepreneur but who's received, what is it, over ten million dollars in loans.

"I'll tell you what, you give me ten million dollars and I will make any person in San Francisco as successful...if I have to hire a conservator, whatever, I can make it happen.

"Let me tell you what I think was the big turning point in San Francisco in the last couple of years.

"It was the settlement of the Business Tax, in which the major corporations came forward.

"They insisted this tax was unfair, but they couldn't even find one instance where it had discriminated against anybody.

"The best they could do was come up an elaborate, hypothetical way which might discriminate and I voted against the repeal of the Business Tax we had.

"It left in place a payroll tax, which is extremely bad for small business, it punishes business rather than creating new jobs, so I'm out on the campaign trail saying 'we need to reform this, this is the first step of any economic strategy.'

"And, of course, Newsom is out saying 'this guy wants to tax people, that's what he wants to do, he wants to tax.'

"It's like where have you been...I want to talk honestly with the electorate.

"I want people to understand that one of the reasons why these companies have so much money to put up billboards promoting Newsom, and to put up his anti-panhandling measures, is because they got money to spend because we gave them $35 million a year.

"We've got to get into a serious conversation about putting in a fair fax.

"Get rid of the tax we have, let's put in a gross receipts tax, which is based on what a company produces.

"That's fair. That works. And let me tell you, in order to qualify for being taxed under the gross receipts mechanism, you'd have to generate more than $800,000 in gross receipts before you were taxed at all, and it's extremely beneficial for small business.

"That's the truth. This is not radical anti-business.

"I think we have more credibility than he (Newsom) does. I worked with a number in colleagues in City Hall, I've built relationships with people I've disagreed philosophically because you could take their word on things.

"Newsom is a really nice young man.

"He really is very young in terms of his maturity, in terms of his courage.

"You talk to him, he might agree with you, but then he walks into the chamber and he votes the opposite way.

From the time you explain an issue to him and he got it, to the time it was time to vote, he checks in with where his donors are, where his supporters are.

"He doesn't belong to himself.

"He belongs to the people who put Willie Brown in Office, who have propped up Willie Brown for years, and if you want four more years of Willie Brown, a guy who's from Outer Space, vote for Newsom.

"It's the same regime.

"If you want change, if you want a better society, if you want a more humane society, if you want a city that's going to be workable, if you want someone who's going to make decisions on the rights thing, then this is the campaign to be with.

"I'm proud to be a member of the Green Party, I'm proud to be independent and away from the Democratic machine, I'm proud to want to cut government patronage positions that Brown created, I'm proud to want to work against measures that are not fiscally responsible that can't be done.

"I'm not going to be the candidate who promises everything to get elected.
I'm not going to try to become a different human being to get elected. If I lose, I want to lose by being Matt Gonzalez.

"If I'm going to win, I want to win because I'm Matt Gonzalez," the candidate reflected.

Dear Everyone;

The most telling thing about Matt Gonzalez is a campaign worker at the Gonzalez headquarters Tuesday night. Marc Powell said he was excited about Matt being in the run-off and winning. Because under Greenie - Matt Gonzalez, San Francisco would become one big anti-capitalistic co-op.

In Libertarian terms, Matt Gonzalez appears to be just another "Taker" who redistributes " property " based on their presumptions of who should receive the largess they stole. This type of person is just another " Robbing Hood. ".

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Mike Denny <mike@...> wrote:
by pat murphy

Friday, November 7, 2003
Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval is reported ready to endorse Matt Gonzalez for mayor today, joining Supervisors Jake McGoldrick and Aaron Peskin already onboard the Gonzalez alliance.

Sandoval endorsed Angela Alioto in the general election, while McGoldrick and Peskin were early backers of Tom Ammiano.

And Joe O'Donoghue, president of the politically hefty Residential Builders Association, Wednesday declined a Willie Brown offer to negotiate Gavin Newsom's Work Force Housing plan in order to secure O'Donoghue's backing of Newsom.

"Newsom isn't a straight-up guy," O'Donoghue told the Sentinel.

"I personally endorse Matt completely, totally, absolutely, and I will urge the full RBA membership to endorse Matt on Tuesday," stated O'Donoghue.

Some thirteen hours after the polls closed Tuesday night, McGoldrick endorsed Gonzalez from the McGoldrick living room couch.

"It's really an honor for me to be in Jake McGoldrick's home," Gonzalez said.

"He's someone who has been fighting the most important neighborhood issues for the last couple of decades in this town.

"I think it is really significant for me to have this endorsement. He's been chair of the Land Use Committee, and is someone who really understands planning issues in this city and how it can affect neighborhoods when we make the wrong decisions," stated Gonzalez.

"My politics is his politics," McGoldrick returned.

"When I say my politics is his politics, I mean we really do work on doing good public policy, to work with everybody, and that's what he's doing.

"Getting elected president of the Board of Supervisors was no accident. It really was the result of Matt being able to work with all the different kinds of ideas that people on our Board have -- getting the support of an independent, getting the support of Democrats.

"And as a Green, I happen to think he is the best Democrat in the race.

"If someone wants to play the partisan card, this guy is the guy that Democrats will be able to depend upon to work together.

"Coalescing situations is at the heart of what Matt has been able to do.

"Matt is the candidate who will be able to work with the entire Board of Supervisors.

"The best person to represent Democratic values is Matt Gonzalez, who happens to be a registered Green.

"The best person to represent Republican values (Gavin Newsom), happens to be a registered Democrat, but in any other town he would be a Republican," added McGoldrick.

On Thursday morning, Gonzalez welcomed Peskin's endorsement given at Caffe Trieste in North Beach.

"The next mayor is going to have really difficult economic decisions to make, and I think Supervisor Peskin as chair of the Finance Committee is really someone who has been making those decisions and who has seen what those decisions look like and so to have his support is significant," explained Gonzalez.

Peskin contrasted Gonzalez with Newsom.

"I've served with these two gentlemen on the Board of Supervisors for the last three years, and I can certainly say that Matt is not subject to the politics of expedience in the same way the other candidate is," Peskin concluded.

The night before, 24 hours after the polls closed, Gonzalez supporters packed their Mission Headquarters, which had housed Willie Brown's reelection campaign effort.

"It's been a very interesting day," Gonzalez deadpanned.

"This morning we got up very early and started doing the morning TV talk shows.

"Willie Brown came out and he talked about how out of touch we are with San Francisco, and all that stuff.

"So these reporters come up and say 'Willie Brown says you are out of touch.'

"I say, well gee, I think if he stood election today the voters would reject him. I think Willie Brown is out of touch.

"I think it was Channel 5 who came up and said 'Mayor Willie Brown says you're from Outer Space.' I said, well gee, we're both from Texas -- I don't know what that means.

"Newsom is making a big deal that he's the only Democrat left in the race, and that my party is responsible for, you know, what happened in Florida.

"Let me just say more Democrats voted for George Bush than there are Green Party members in the United States.

"There are differences between me and my opponent. We just came from the Labor Council, and Supervisor Newsom has reinvented himself as man of the working people.

"Fascinating...this is a guy who says he's an entrepreneur but who's received, what is it, over ten million dollars in loans.

"I'll tell you what, you give me ten million dollars and I will make any person in San Francisco as successful...if I have to hire a conservator, whatever, I can make it happen.

"Let me tell you what I think was the big turning point in San Francisco in the last couple of years.

"It was the settlement of the Business Tax, in which the major corporations came forward.

"They insisted this tax was unfair, but they couldn't even find one instance where it had discriminated against anybody.

"The best they could do was come up an elaborate, hypothetical way which might discriminate and I voted against the repeal of the Business Tax we had.

"It left in place a payroll tax, which is extremely bad for small business, it punishes business rather than creating new jobs, so I'm out on the campaign trail saying 'we need to reform this, this is the first step of any economic strategy.'

"And, of course, Newsom is out saying 'this guy wants to tax people, that's what he wants to do, he wants to tax.'

"It's like where have you been...I want to talk honestly with the electorate.

"I want people to understand that one of the reasons why these companies have so much money to put up billboards promoting Newsom, and to put up his anti-panhandling measures, is because they got money to spend because we gave them $35 million a year.

"We've got to get into a serious conversation about putting in a fair fax.

"Get rid of the tax we have, let's put in a gross receipts tax, which is based on what a company produces.

"That's fair. That works. And let me tell you, in order to qualify for being taxed under the gross receipts mechanism, you'd have to generate more than $800,000 in gross receipts before you were taxed at all, and it's extremely beneficial for small business.

"That's the truth. This is not radical anti-business.

"I think we have more credibility than he (Newsom) does. I worked with a number in colleagues in City Hall, I've built relationships with people I've disagreed philosophically because you could take their word on things.

"Newsom is a really nice young man.

"He really is very young in terms of his maturity, in terms of his courage.

"You talk to him, he might agree with you, but then he walks into the chamber and he votes the opposite way.

From the time you explain an issue to him and he got it, to the time it was time to vote, he checks in with where his donors are, where his supporters are.

"He doesn't belong to himself.

"He belongs to the people who put Willie Brown in Office, who have propped up Willie Brown for years, and if you want four more years of Willie Brown, a guy who's from Outer Space, vote for Newsom.

"It's the same regime.

"If you want change, if you want a better society, if you want a more humane society, if you want a city that's going to be workable, if you want someone who's going to make decisions on the rights thing, then this is the campaign to be with.

"I'm proud to be a member of the Green Party, I'm proud to be independent and away from the Democratic machine, I'm proud to want to cut government patronage positions that Brown created, I'm proud to want to work against measures that are not fiscally responsible that can't be done.

"I'm not going to be the candidate who promises everything to get elected.
I'm not going to try to become a different human being to get elected. If I lose, I want to lose by being Matt Gonzalez.

"If I'm going to win, I want to win because I'm Matt Gonzalez," the candidate reflected.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lpsf-discuss-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Unfortunately, so is Newsom, just less so.

-- Steve