Moral Superiority and Plastic Bags

Dear Phil;

Here is an edited version for your review - enlarged I hope enough for you to be able to read it. BTW - letters to editor need to be under 150 words.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Dear Letters;

The Supervisors voted to ban plastic bags in large grocery and drug stores. Then they showed off their canvas shopping bags.

This is another straw on poor people’s backs. The old, sick, blind and handicapped must now carry a canvas bag to shop. Do supervisors regularly carry home groceries from Safeway in the rain, pushing a wheelchair or feeling with a cane? Does the extra $.30 to be added to every grocery trip affect them?

Supervisor Jew tried to justify his dissent against the ban. His gut instincts told him it was wrong to add one more proscription on poor peoples lives and another small weekly expense.

Like a grocery bill - in life and politics it’s the little things that add up that hurt. I know of this personally as a blind HIV positive gay who is affected by the bag ban.

Phil Berg - Chair
Libertarian Party of San Francisco

address and phone here

Ron,

Much improved! I've used your revisions as a starting point and made a few more edits.

Love & liberty,
      <<< starchild >>>

Editor:

So the Supervisors voted to ban plastic bags in large grocery and drug stores. Meanwhile, National Public Radio reports that these bags are actually more environmentally friendly than paper bags, and grocers report that the ban may actually lead to less recycling of plastic bags.

Have these Supervisors ever carried home groceries from Safeway in a paper bag in the rain, pushing a wheelchair or feeling with a cane? Does the extra $.30 added to every grocery trip affect them, with their $90,000/year salaries?

At least Supervisor Ed Jew spoke out against this injustice. He at least was unwilling to add one more expense and burden to the lives of the poor and disabled for another little piece of feel-good legislation.

Just like on the grocery bill, it’s these little things that add up. I speak as a legally blind and HIV-positive gay man who this will negatively affect.

Phil Berg - Chair
Libertarian Party of San Francisco