Minutes of meeting January 11, 2014

Hi All, Thank you to Jawj for preparing the minutes of LPSF's January 11 meeting. I will post it on the website on Monday. Libertarian Party of San Francisco

Minutes of the monthly meeting held January 11, 2014 at the
San Francisco Main Library

Members Present: Phil Berg, Marcy Berry (Vice-Chair),
Michael Edelstein, Aubrey Freedman (Chair), Jawj Greenwald, Leslie Mangus (Treasurer),
Matt Murphy, Starchild.

ACTIVISM REPORTS

In keeping with the New Year spirit of self-improvement, we
spent longer than usual going round the table reporting on what we'd each done
for the cause of freedom in the past month. Aubrey Freedman attended an "End
the Fed" rally at the Federal Reserve Building to mark the Fed's 100th
anniversary (complete with josh sticks, drums and speeches). Tomorrow he plans to do outreach at the Cow
Palace gun show. Marcy Berry wrote some interesting articles for our website
(see below). Michael Edelstein arranged a debate on
"praxology" (a topic in Austrian-school economics). He will talk about "Inner Freedom in One
Lesson" to the Palo Alto Humanist Society on February 23 and to Free
Exchange on March 1. Phil Berg, in a
noble act of self-sacrifice, gave up his rent-controlled home when asked by his
landlord, instead of asserting his rights as a politically-incorrect blind
AIDS-afflicted gay senior to stay put. Matt Murphy registered to vote Libertarian and
joined the San Francisco and state party.
He will participate in a political debating group meeting at 7:00 pm on
January 21 at the Commonwealth Club, arguing against the position that tax
policy should aim to reduce inequality. Jawj
Greenwald successfully contested a parking ticket she hadn't been issued but
that the City was quite willing to try to collect on anyway. Les Magnus wrote his usual letters to
editors, and did the necessary to set up a campaign committee and separate fund
that will allow us to legally raise and spend sums of $1000 or more on
political campaigns (see below).

ANNOUNCEMENTS

(For more detailed and timely notice of events, see “Bay
Area Events” section of the website, www.lpsf.org)

The Golden Gate Liberty Revolution's monthly meetup will be
held 7-9 pm Monday Jan 20 at the Moksha Life Center, 405 Sansome St. It will also have a table at the Cow Palace
Gun show 9am-4pm Sunday Jan 12, where Libertarians are welcome.

Free Exchange meets 7-11pm at Jim Elwood's home in Park
Merced on the 1st Saturday of each month.
The speaker for Feb 1 has not yet been announced.

The California Libertarian Party Convention will be held
Friday March 28-Sunday March 30 at the Holiday Inn in Visalia. Aubrey Freedman has space in his car for
anyone wishing to join him.

OFFICERS' AND COMMITTEE REPORTS

Treasurer’s Report Les Mangus reported that, as of December 31,
we had $2626 in the general account, $62 in an "activity fund" kitty,
and $311 in the newly established campaign account. The campaign account was the culmination of
protracted efforts to comply with campaign laws to allow us to solicit and
spend over $1000 on candidate and ballot measure campaign. We have now set up a campaign committee,
registered with the Ethics Commission, opened a separate bank account, and
obligated ourselves to file ongoing reports.

Website Report. Marcy
Berry has been working diligently. Her
latest postings on the website include two calls to activism: 1) a list of ten
things that we can all do to further the cause of small government and anti-corporate
power adapted from the movement spawned by the movie "Thrive"; and 2)
an appeal to support community volunteerism in the wake of the police killings
of La Mesha Irizarry's son in 2001 and Kenneth Wade Harding in 2011. Marcy urged
us to encourage libertarian-leaning websites on which we participate to publish
links to our website in the same way as we do to others'.

Membership Committee.
Aubrey Freedman has reviewed the State party's latest roster of 92 San
Francisco members and finds it outdated and erroneous, although there is no way
of knowing the status of the 22 life members it lists. Based on actual dues received, he estimates
our real current membership was no more than 30-something, while Marcy thought active
dues-paying members could be as few as 10,
The last two postcard mailings did not increase membership.

Campaign Committee.
Now that our campaign fund is set up, we need to raise money and find
campaign issues. Aubrey will keep an eye
on new June ballot measures, The two
currently likely to be on the ballot are of little interest.

OLD BUSINESS

Newspaper Rack
Project (El Reportero). Starchild is
still trying to arrange a meeting with the Editor to discuss a proposal for us
to sponsor new newsracks. The paper has
only about 15 newsracks and seems unconcerned about their failure to comply
with local ordinances, which are not being enforced.

NEW BUSINESS

Election of Officers.
The existing officers-- Aubrey Freedman as Chair, Marcy Berry as
Vice-Chair, and Les Mangus as Treasurer -- were unanimously reelected for 2014 by voice acclamation,
joined by Matt Murphy, who will fill the vacancy for Secretary.

New Austerity Measure. Following the Treasurer's report,
there was a general discussion of the need to conserve cash to pay annual
operating expenses, currently about $750 a year. We voted (6 Yes, 1 No) not to spend any
general funds for our future activities, but to raise specific funding for
anything we wanted to do.

Gay Pride June 2014.
Aubrey reported that it would cost about $400 to have a booth for Pride
weekend. Costs are the same as last
year, but we can manage without ordering much more outreach literature. In
keeping with our new austerity measure, we will not participate unless we can
raise the funds in advance. Aubrey will
solicit funds on the Discussion and Activist email list, while Marcy will do so
on the website, Facebook page, and Announcements list.

Tax Day Event. We
discussed how to mark tax day, in the wake of last year's windstorm having
ruined our Civic Center table. We decided on an indoor educational event. Aubrey will try to book an auditorium at the
library, preferably for the weekend before tax day. We will hold an event with speakers focused
on state or local tax issues in a format inviting Q&A or other audience
participation. Starchild will spearhead
the effort, and all are invited to send him suggestions for speakers.

California Cannabis Hemp Initiative for November ballot. Starchild brought along signature gathering
forms for the current marijuana initiative and urged members to solicit
signatures in time for the March deadline.
The measure, printed in full on the back of the signature forms, is
well-drafted and avoids the weaknesses that made Libertarian support for the
last marijuana initiative less than whole-hearted. A competing, more restrictive ballot
initiative may be in the works.

Marcy,

Thank you for the minutes. I noticed one issue -- about El Reportero, you wrote, "The paper has only about 15 newsracks and seems unconcerned about their failure to comply with local ordinances, which are not being enforced." I don't believe I said they are out of compliance with any ordinances, as I don't know that to be the case. When I mentioned our concern about the voluminous city regulations on newsracks, Marvin (the editor) simply told me that all those regulations do not seem to be actively enforced. He estimated the paper has around 15-20 newsracks. I urge the above sentence be corrected accordingly.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

I have forwarded your observation to Jawj.

Marcy

Hi Marcy and All! Thanks to Jawj for beautiful minutes, as always. Too minor corrections: the $62 in the Activity Fund is included in Les's $2,626 total; it's just earmarked for outreach activities, not general operating expenses. Also the last postcard mailing that we did for the November 2013 election did actually yield one membership renewal.

Thanks!
Aubrey

I have forwarded your observation to Jawj.

Marcy

Marcy,

Thank you for the minutes. I noticed one issue -- about El Reportero, you wrote, "The paper has only about 15 newsracks and seems unconcerned about their failure to comply with local ordinances, which are not being enforced." I don't believe I said they are out of compliance with any ordinances, as I don't know that to be the case. When I mentioned our concern about the voluminous city regulations on newsracks, Marvin (the editor) simply told me that all those regulations do not seem to be actively enforced. He estimated the paper has around 15-20 newsracks. I urge the above sentence be corrected accordingly.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Hi All,

Thank you to Jawj for preparing the minutes of LPSF's January 11 meeting. I will post it on the website on Monday.

Libertarian Party of San Francisco

Minutes of the monthly meeting held January 11, 2014 at the San Francisco Main Library

Members Present: Phil Berg, Marcy Berry (Vice-Chair), Michael Edelstein, Aubrey Freedman (Chair), Jawj Greenwald, Leslie Mangus (Treasurer), Matt Murphy, Starchild.

ACTIVISM REPORTS

In keeping with the New Year spirit of self-improvement, we spent longer than usual going round the table reporting on what we'd each done for the cause of freedom in the past month. Aubrey Freedman attended an "End the Fed" rally at the Federal Reserve Building to mark the Fed's 100th anniversary (complete with josh sticks, drums and speeches). Tomorrow he plans to do outreach at the Cow Palace gun show. Marcy Berry wrote some interesting articles for our website (see below). Michael Edelstein arranged a debate on "praxology" (a topic in Austrian-school economics). He will talk about "Inner Freedom in One Lesson" to the Palo Alto Humanist Society on February 23 and to Free Exchange on March 1. Phil Berg, in a noble act of self-sacrifice, gave up his rent-controlled home when asked by his landlord, instead of asserting his rights as a politically-incorrect blind AIDS-afflicted gay senior to stay put. Matt Murphy

registered to vote Libertarian and joined the San Francisco and state party. He will participate in a political debating group meeting at 7:00 pm on January 21 at the Commonwealth Club, arguing against the position that tax policy should aim to reduce inequality. Jawj Greenwald successfully contested a parking ticket she hadn't been issued but that the City was quite willing to try to collect on anyway. Les Magnus wrote his usual letters to editors, and did the necessary to set up a campaign committee and separate fund that will allow us to legally raise and spend sums of $1000 or more on political campaigns (see below).