Meeting April 7th suggested by Sonja Trauss [1 Attachment]

Hi All,

I asked Sonja Trauss to send me information on the case of 53 States Street, where someone purchased an abandoned dilapidated house planning to build a duplex on the site. But the neighbor says NO. Here is information on the meeting tomorrow to discuss 53 States Street. I am planning to attend, because at least I would like to get a feeling as to how ridiculous things have gotten. The City says we need more housing, but wastes all this time and taxpayer money on what appears to be folks with strange agendas blocking all building.

My question would be what "standing" does the attorney have blocking the project (none!). But Sonja says the Supes have to hear each case no matter how silly (why?). Time to work on an initiative returning Supes to part time.

Marcy

Hi All,

Glad I attended the BOS meeting that Sonja suggested. Even though I had no prior knowledge of what had been going on, the Planning Department's presentation gave me a very, very clear picture of the issue. From my point of view, Mayor Lee promised 30,000 new units, and one tiny little unit is taking up immense amounts of time and taxpayer money because neighbors in San Francisco are basically NIMBY. So that is what I said when my turn came to speak. Unfortunately, my punch line -- "Supervisor Campos has already said not in my backyard" was not fully heard by Campos, because just as I said it, Chair London Brie called Campos to her table (she needed to go to the bathroom, I guess, and Campos took the Chair).

The lawyer for the guys who wants to build the unit came over and thanked Sonja. So I took the opportunity to give him one of our LPSF cards. He said he was very interested in our group.

It would be great if we could attend more of these meetings.

Marcy

Hi Marcy. Thanks for attending and speaking your piece. Indeed this is a property rights issue when it comes to private property--something we should support. Maybe I'll try to make it a point to attend one of these hearings myself and speak up for property rights.
As for Sonja's group, while they're probably mostly leftists, the fact that I heard opposition to zoning from some of them on Sunday indicates something we have in common with them. It wouldn't hurt us to make a few more friends in town.
Thanks!Aubrey