Meeting 08/13/11 - Ballot Recommendations

Dear All,

I have posted on the LPSF Announce List and Discuss List that ballot recommendations will take place at the LPSF meeting of August 13, 4th Floor Conference Room, San Francisco Main Library.

I realize that postcards were sent in the past announcing recommendations etc. So if anyone would like to take up this task, so diligently done by Rob before he moved, please let us know.

Please remember that I will not be at the August 13 meeting. Either Ron or Jawj will be chairing the meeting, explaining the ballot arguments, conducting the voting, and posting the results on the LPSF website.

Also, I am assuming LPSF ballot arguments to appear on the voter pamphlet will be approved at this meeting, if not before.

I will post an agenda on the preceding Saturday, August 6th; so if any of you have suggestions as to length of time ballot recommendations, arguments, etc. will need, please let me know by Friday 5th. Also if you have any other item you would like to see on the agenda, please let me know by Friday.

Regards,

Marcy

Dear All;

Some clarification is required of the ballot recomendations vote by the LPSF.

According to the by-laws the LPSF at its regular business meeting 30 days prior to the election will have its ballot recommendation vote. For this years election with the election being on Nov. 8 the 30 days would be met by our LPSF business meeting on Saturday Oct. 8. The mailed announcements of the ballot recommendations vote to all LPSF members is to be received 30 days in advance of Oct. 8. This means the postcards would go out to be received no later than Sept. 8. This means allowing for mail delivery time the postcard announcements being sent out preferably no later than the beginning of the last week of August or by August 29.

Secondly on the Jeff Adachi pension reform ballot measure it was submitted for signature verification on July 11. The Department of Elections has 30 days to review trhe signatures for verification. The ballot measure will not have to be officially verified until Aug. 11.

Ron Getty

Thank you, Ron. However, recommendations can be made at any meeting with 30 days notice. The reason for the recmmendations in August is that one person brought up at the last meeting that we should not write ballot arguments on measures we have not recommended. Although I would admit that the last meeting was difficult to follow with everyone speaking at once!

However, I will definitely defer to your plans on the matter, since you are the Initiative Chair. Please let me know what you will do by Agenda time.

BTW, you speak of postcards, and I hope you or someone else will volunteer to send them out, since Rob is no longer with LPSF.

Marcy

Hi Marcy & All! I like the postcards that the LPSF has been sending out before the elections, and I have always found them quite helpful as a check point to ensure that I was looking at a ballot measure in the proper perspective. I think they might be helpful to voters who are inclined to regard freedom as important. I don't know much about making up postcards, but I will take up this task for the time being. I will work on it after the next meeting.

Aubrey

Great, Aubrey! Thank you!

Marcy

Thanks for volunteering, Aubrey.

To do the postcards in the past, I used:

https://click2mail.com/by-product/postcards/postcard-4-25-x-6-single-sided

By the way, it appears that the cost for full color postcards has dropped to only about 20% more than the black and white postcards we've been doing for years. Color used to cost more than double the price for black and white. LPSF may want to consider whether full color may finally be worth the extra cost.

If you need me to have a web meeting with you where I walk you through your first postcard order, Aubrey, just let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob! Hope you're doing OK in New York and settling in. I don't think things will be the same without you around, but we will carry on. Thanks for the offer of help on the postcards. Knowing me, I will probably try it myself and then get all frustrated and finally ask for help.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Starchild! If you get a chance and have nothing to do, here's the link to the postcard that I designed. My Username is aubreyfreedman and Password is Yisrael1. If you can improve it, please go ahead and do it, since I'm not too creative. If you're busy, don't worry about it--I'll get it done one way or the other.

Thanks!
Aubrey