LPSF statement on Coronavirus Covid-19?

Do people feel we should issue a press release type statement about the government orders, closures, etc., related to the coronavirus? Should we try to hold our April meeting? Please share your thoughts.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

I was at the Court today. The Clerks office will re-open to the public April 17th a week after our scheduled meeting. They are currently working without coming into contact with the public.

So that's not a whole lot earlier than the court. It seems it would be safe for a meeting.

Mike

We should not try to hold our April meeting but if you can think of a good
press release, please go ahead.
Sam Sloan

I suggest we hold our April meeting remotely: phone, Skype, Zoom, Jitsi, etc. There are many options.

Warm regards, Michael

Michael R. Edelstein, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
415-673-2848 (24/7)
www.TheREBT.Life

Co-author of Three Minute Therapy <http://www.threeminutetherapy.com/>
with David Ramsay Steele, Ph.D.
Features help for anxiety, depression,
relationships, panic attacks, addiction

May I suggest a little "PR Savvy" sloganieering:

"pretext to pass the *TARPatriot Act 2.0 *- a massive permanent and
unconstitutional violation of civil liberties and rollback of the
authorization of use of military force act in the name of protecting
'supply-chains'"

Funny how these 1200 page bills just seem to come up during emergencies -
as if they were pre-written. But I'm an EVIL CRAZY CONSPIRACY THEORIST
COMING FROM A NATIONAL SECURITY HOUSEHOLD WHO WAS ON RECORD IN NOVEMBER
2018 SAYING THERE WAS GOING TO BE A MULTI-WEEK STAY AT HOME ORDER IN THE
NEAR FUTURE SO *DON'T LISTEN TO ME.*

Unfortunately I've found Zoom causes my browser to crash. But it seems to be what most people are using for videoconferencing lately. Basically I need a new computer. I've sometimes been able to call in by phone on Zoom teleconferences, so if that could be an option in the meantime.

I'm agnostic on whether to have an in-person meeting though. If we do, it might require meeting at someone's home, as I think all restaurants are closed locally except for takeout, the library is of course closed, and I'm not sure what other public facilities with indoor spots where we could meet might be open. The weather may still be on the chilly side for an outdoor meeting.

Regarding a coronavirus statement, I'm inclined to put out something objecting to mandatory government orders, but not sure how far to go on it or precisely what position to take. For context, below is an anonymous message of concern about the ban on large gatherings that was sent to myself (via Nick at the chair@lpsf.org) on March 15, and my reply at that time.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

There’s lots of things we could talk about.

Maybe:

A) Government screwed up, and private companies and volunteers stepped up. We could also point this happens during every catastrophe, and give the fundamental reasons why. We could give examples for days.

B) People should not let the government turn this into an opportunity to seize more power, like they do with every failure and disaster.

C) Government has suspended many regulations so that people can do research and get the help they need more quickly.

D) People should act responsibly and compassionately whether the government tells them to or not. (Also, a free market could also incentivize good behavior. E.g., Uber immediately disabled the accounts of everyone who traveled with an Uber driver who was possibly exposed.)

E) Et cetera! There’s a lot of topics.

We should be careful to not (1) suggest people do anything that puts themselves or others in harm, (2) blame 5G, or (3) suggest letting people die would be good for the economy.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff / Starchild

The First Amendment reads as follows:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

According to the Constitution Center <https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretation/amendment-i/interps/266> :

Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.

Consequently, Newsom’s executive order is unconstitutional.

Someone in California should test this by organizing an “assembly” that contravenes the shelter at home order. Might that someone be SFLP?

Thanks,

Marc

Might that someone be Marc Joffe?

I see complaints regularly on Nextdoor indicating this is happening in Southern Marin: someone having a gathering on their deck and a group of kids playing soccer in the park are 2 just posted.

Jeff / Starchild

The First Amendment reads as follows:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

According to the Constitution Center <https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretation/amendment-i/interps/266>:

Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.

Consequently, Newsom’s executive order is unconstitutional..

Someone in California should test this by organizing an “assembly” that contravenes the shelter at home order. Might that someone be SFLP?

Thanks,
Marc

Michael

I would want to be involved, but the location and nature of the activity would have to be carefully selected. Sources I find trustworthy say that density and low temperature promote spread of the virus. So, I think an activity would ideally occur in an open space on a warm day away from the Bay. I also think it should be a volunteer event that would be characterized as civic-minded, such as sewing protective garments.

Marc

So anyone have any other thoughts on next Saturday's monthly LPSF meeting, or shall we go ahead and have it online via Zoom (and teleconference, for myself or anyone else who doesn't wish or is unable to access the platform)?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))