[Lnc-business] MOTION - Re: Truth in advertising on building fund (letter to donors)

Mark,

Operating in a less than forthright manner does *not* honor David Nolan. I've already received one response to the message below from Outright Libertarians secretary Mike Shipley, who wants to go further than my motion does in making sure we uphold our commitment as advertised:

I feel that as a non-donor and a relative newcomer, the only stake in this for me is the fact that I'm putting considerable energy into building up something I believe strongly in, and after the disappointment of Bob Barr and other worrisome internal struggles I would hate to see further evidence that my hope is misplaced. I want the Party to continue growing in a direction that I can be proud of having been involved with. Therefore, I support the call for integrity that your Motion represents, the only thing I would add is that I think sending out letters like that would be disgraceful, if the Motion could be strengthened to cease the negotiations and direct the committee to look for an actual building worthy of David Nolan's legacy, that would be the classy thing to do.

--
Mike Shipley
secretary@...
602 492 4201 - Phoenix, AZ

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."

By the way, if you feel reducing office expenses is an important priority (which I agree it is), I would be happy to work with you on looking for other ways to cut these expenses. Please let me know.

If you want to see more volunteerism, I'm all for that too, and have repeatedly spoken in favor of our doing more to utilize volunteers and give LP members more ability to get involved at the national level in volunteer capacities.

Love & Liberty,
                                   ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee

Very good post by Mike Shipley. Yes, it is important in keeping everyone motivated that there be total integrity. Not so great reaction by Mark, unfortunately.

By just eyeballing the literature asking for donations, I also at first thought we were talking about a whole building; however, I checked the LP website, and found that was not the case. Here is what the website says in the Donor's Pledge page:

"I'm glad to hear that the Libertarian National Committee will purchase an office in the Washington, DC area to serve as the party's permanent headquarters ... named in honor of Libertarian Party Founder David F. Nolan..."

So, not too clear in the literature or on the soundbite on the LP website's front page; but pretty clear on the Donor's Pledge. So, theoretically, a donor would know what he/she was giving towards if he/she bothered to read the terms of the donation.

Marcy