Libertarian Petition Vs. Boortz Speaking at LPCON

So would I, since I am having a lot of trouble understanding how Libertarians could be in favor of what appears to me to be censorship of ideas.

Marcy

Marcy,

As I understand it, the purpose of the petition is to not have Boortz invited to speak. I'm not sure how this can be considered censorship. I haven't invited him to speak in my living room. Does that mean I've censored him? I don't think so. It's my right to choose who speaks in my living room just as it's the LP's right to choose who speaks at it's convention. As members, we contribute to such choices in one way or another. This petition is one way.

-- Steve

Dear Steve;

When you limit who YOU hear you are practicing a personal right of choice. By limiting who a group can hear you are denying the right of the group to hear things they may not want to hear - whether the speaker is right or wrong in their viewpoints. This is censorship of the masses by the masses and for the masses. And is so Bezerkeley.

Is Boortz using his label as a Libertarian merely as a protective cover? Then using this protective cover to espouse views which are diametrically opposed to any official Libertarian policy to make them appear to be Libertarian? Then Boortz should drop his Libertarian affiliation and soar on his own. And no longer claim to be a Libertarian espousing Libertarian viewpoints from a leadership position.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Steve Dekorte <steve@...> wrote:

So would I, since I am having a lot of trouble understanding how
Libertarians could be in favor of what appears to me to be censorship
of
ideas.

Marcy,

As I understand it, the purpose of the petition is to not have Boortz
invited to speak. I'm not sure how this can be considered censorship. I
haven't invited him to speak in my living room. Does that mean I've
censored him? I don't think so. It's my right to choose who speaks in
my living room just as it's the LP's right to choose who speaks at it's
convention. As members, we contribute to such choices in one way or
another. This petition is one way.

-- Steve

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lpsf-discuss-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Anyone can hear Boortz who wants to. Just not in *my* living room. Likewise, the party has the right to choose to say: "Anyone can hear Boortz, just not at *our* convention."

-- Steve