Language of 16/17 y.o. Vote Measure

Oops, resending the below to the rest of the board. I’m apparently not a member of the activist list serv yet:

//

Well said, Starchild. I agree with what you’ve articulated below, and I would also encourage others to support the proposed amendment.

From a pragmatic political perspective, I think LPSF stands to loose a great deal if we vocalize opposition to the proposed amendment. “The party in favor of consolidating power in the more capable hands of a few” is not an image we should project. At the same time, I think LPSF stands to gain only modestly by publicly supporting the amendment, perhaps by staying true to core principles, visibly, and possibly by getting the attention of a few young people that would like to vote and are tracking the amendment with interest.

If LPSF decides not to support the amendment, I strongly believe we should leave it at that, and refrain from opposing. Since I don’t believe anyone has yet asked to that LPSF publicly oppose the amendment, I take it others agree?

From a principled libertarian perspective, minors are just as subject to arbitrary government control as the rest of us, if not more so (compulsory schooling; less protection under the First Amendment; the ever-looming threat of a country constantly at war conscripting you on your eighteenth birthday, etc.). Sadly, many of our youth have lived their whole life before ever having an opportunity to affect change.

Best,
Greg Michael

Thanks for weighing in, Greg. I'm copying your message to the list. Did you try subscribing and run into problems?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

I think this paragraph from Greg quite accurately encapsulates the politics of our choice:

From a pragmatic political perspective, I think LPSF stands to loose a great deal if we vocalize opposition to the proposed amendment. “The party in favor of consolidating power in the more capable hands of a few” is not an image we should project. At the same time, I think LPSF stands to gain only modestly by publicly supporting the amendment, perhaps by staying true to core principles, visibly, and possibly by getting the attention of a few young people that would like to vote and are tracking the amendment with interest.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Don’t think there is or has been any argument about not opposing the measure.

Mike