Importance of young people in socio-political change

NOTE - I've moved this thread from the LPSF-activist list to LPSF-discuss, because it seems more on-topic here

Hi Starchild,

I have agreed with Rob when he explained that his reason for emphasizing recruitment of young folks into the LP is that the LP is demographically lopsided in favor of older members.

However, I still remain skeptical that IN THE U.S., the young (under 30) have played crucial roles in change, except, as I indicated, in the anti-war movement of the 60's.

Marcy

Dear Marcy

Ahem - au contraire in the Civil Rights movement specifically the sit ins of
the 60's they were all college students or even high school students in
Nashville or as an example the young black men and women in North Carolina and
South Carolina who literally took their lives in their hands by doing sit-ins.

In Birmingham Alabama at the time of Dr. MLK Jr. church children not even
teenagers stood up and got arrested by marching in a parade daring the chief of
police and sheriff to arrest them - which happened.

Hundreds of black college students got arrested in Georgia to protest
segregation.

What you had were school children and teenagers and college students at the fore
front of the Civil Rights movement placing their bodies literally on the line to
break the color barriers.

They had a causis belli in which they could believe and for which they could see
they had to step up if the barriers were to be be broken.

If we are to do so we need to start with high school students and college
students and even Middle School students.

We need peoples who can get out there and speak to them about such things as the
Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution.

You have to lay the groundwork before you start talking about Libertarianism and
what it does stand for and what it doesn't stand for then you can recruit.

Ron Getty

Ron,

Well put! Although I think we can talk about libertarianism and things like the Declaration of Independence and Constitution concurrently.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Starchild;

Don't forget the Bill of Rights...which few don't know told Congress
what they couldn't do...and as far as teaching the Constitution in schools there
is this FB group for requesting that

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=454417175712

Ron Getty

Ron,

This gives me an idea. We should add a graphic on our website saying something like, "Would you like someone from the Libertarian Party to come and speak at your school? Click here." That could take them to a page to leave their contact info and whether they are a teacher, student, etc.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Starchild;

the cart is before the horse - FIRST we need a speaker or speakers who have a
pre-approved script and preferably have practiced their speech before the LPSF
so any red flags can be ironed out...

Then we solicit schools for speaking engagements.

Ron Getty

Ron,

That sounds like way too much micro-management. We've never had any such procedures in the past. I'm happy to go and speak to the public about the Libertarian Party, but I never use a script, pre-approved or otherwise.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Ron,

Thank you for reiterating the point I would like to make. The 60's, briefly. Long time ago. Since then?

Marcy

Dear Starchild

it is not micro-managing to have some sort of an idea of what someone would be
saying in what context to what audience about Libertarianism ... since that
person at that time based on their appearance and demeanor and what they say and
how they respond then becomes... so that is what a Libertarian is and what
Libertarianism is all about...

Ron Getty

Kelly Simpson gave me an excellent script when she was visiting schools and talking about libertarianism. I will try to find it, but don't promise I still have it, since we stopped that project a long time ago.

Marcy

Huumm..yes we did.

Marcy

Kelly Simpson may have used a script, but I don't remember ever talking about or approving it as a group. I've spoken on behalf of the LPSF and never used a script.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

And you have done a super job speaking on behalf of libertarianism. My only point was to reiterate LPSF's long-standing tradition: If you speak on behalf of liberty and libertarianism, go for it! If you speak specifically on behalf of LPSF, we need to know what you are saying.

Marcy