Illegal LPC convention delegate fee?

For those of you just tuning in, the organizers of the Libertarian Party of California convention are attempting to charge delegates $39 to participate in convention business if they are not purchasing tickets to any meal or speaker events. It is being asserted that this fee is a violation of the party bylaws.

The real "subsidy" issue here, in my opinion, is the cost of the hotels. Regardless of how this controversy of paying for the meeting room is resolved, LPC members -- whether the membership as a whole or just those who wish to attend the party's convention as delegates -- will be forced to subsidize the desire of those members who wish to hold our conventions in luxury facilities and insist on sharing the burden of paying for those facilities with those who would be content to meet in less expensive venues.

If the members wishing to meet in luxury hotels -- one hopes they constitute a fairly large group, since the conventions are held their way every year -- are unwilling to pay for meeting rooms in those hotels, and don't want the membership as a whole to subsidize the cost, perhaps someone should move to adjourn the business sessions to a nearby park so that money doesn't act as a deterrent to those wishing to become delegates.

Yours in liberty,
        <<< Starchild >>>

P.S. - I agree with Gene Trosper's reading of the bylaws. Bylaw 15, Section 3, subsection B states that a person who meets the conditions set forth in the bylaws "shall" be a delegate from his or her county. Since those conditions do NOT include paying a delegate fee, the failure to pay such a fee cannot be used as grounds to refuse to seat a delegate. I realize that you are not the chair, M, but I would like to hear your parliamentarian opinion for the record.