Hearing on senior housing concerns, Mon. April 1 (9am-noon, City Hall Rm. 416) / Unitarian church event

FYI...

By the way, Michael Edelstein and I both attended the event yesterday that he posted about here with Keith McHenry of Food Not Bombs at the Unitarian Church on Franklin Street. The other speaker, Dr. John McDougal, was rather disappointing to me. He came across as quite statist, and spent much of his talk focused on his personal history and mentors, rather than on the subject matter of going veg*n. McHenry also focused on the history of Food Not Bombs rather than current policy issues, but that history was quite inspiring. It illustrated the power, effectiveness, and publicity potential of activists engaging in bold, creative direct action. Unfortunately he didn't take questions, but did say he would be open to speaking to Libertarians. He mentioned while talking with me that Florida Libertarians had been very helpful to FNB when they were facing arrests for feeding the homeless by demonstrating on their behalf.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

FNB is way-cool. We should have a mutual aid agreement.

Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 5:31 PM
Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Fwd: Hearing on senior housing concerns, Mon. April 1 (9am-noon, City Hall Rm. 416) / Unitarian church event

FYI...

By the way, Michael Edelstein and I both attended the event yesterday that he posted about here with Keith McHenry of Food Not Bombs at the Unitarian Church on Franklin Street. The other speaker, Dr. John McDougal, was rather disappointing to me. He came across as quite statist, and spent much of his talk focused on his personal history and mentors, rather than on the subject matter of going veg*n. McHenry also focused on the history of Food Not Bombs rather than current policy issues, but that history was quite inspiring. It illustrated the power, effectiveness, and publicity potential of activists engaging in bold, creative direct action. Unfortunately he didn't take questions, but did say he would be open to speaking to Libertarians. He mentioned while talking with me that Florida Libertarians had been very helpful to FNB when they were facing arrests for feeding the homeless by demonstrating on their behalf.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Date: March 9, 2013 10:01:52 AM PST

Subject: HOUSING CONCERNS OF LGBT SENIORS
Reply-To: "Dean Clark" <reply-0bd893bb63-1c52d52670-9f0e@...>

Click to view this email in a browser
HOUSING CONCERNS OF LGBT SENIORS
The housing committee of

the City’s LGBT Aging Policy Task Force is holding a hearing into the
housing concerns of LGBT seniors. The hearing, which is part of the
committee’s investigation into the housing needs of LGBT seniors, will
be held on Monday, April 1, 9 AM - 12 noon, in room 416 of City Hall.
All LGBT seniors are welcome to come testify about their housing
concerns, no matter what type of housing they live in: rent-controlled,
public housing or other subsidized units, Section 8, an SRO, a shelter, a home that they own, etc. Homeless
seniors are also invited to talk about issues in the city's shelters or
the difficulty of finding a place to live. Other areas of concern
include (but are not limited to):

--threats of eviction, actual eviction or fear of eviction;
--landlord is not doing repairs or tenant is afraid to ask for repairs;
--housing is not safe or secure or has an infestation;
--home is under threat of foreclosure or has been foreclosed;
--and any other housing issue that an LGBT senior has.

The housing committee needs LGBT senior input to help us formulate

recommendations to the Board of Supervisors. To testify, simply show up
and fill out a speaker’s card. If a senior can't attend, their testimony
can be read into the record. For more information, contact Tommi
Avicolli Mecca, 703-8634.