Gen Taguba confirms child rape at Abu Graib

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/28/736242/-Children-raped-at-Abu-Ghraib:U.S.-General-confirms-Seymour-Hershs-Abu-Ghraib-accusations

Former Major General Antonio Taguba, the officer who conducted an inquiry into Abu Ghraib in 2004, has been interviewed by Britain's Daily Telegraph. In the interview he confirmed that the unreleased prisoner torture photos contain images of rape at Abu Ghraib.

At least one picture shows an American soldier apparently raping a female prisoner while another is said to show a male translator raping a male detainee.

Further photographs are said to depict sexual assaults on prisoners with objects including a truncheon, wire and a phosphorescent tube.

Another apparently shows a female prisoner having her clothing forcibly removed to expose her breasts.

Steve,

Thanks for sending the Abu Ghraib torture update. I believe all claims made in the excerpt your posted are true; I have not read the whole article.

I believe high-level government officials demand low-level soldiers torture prisoners in the manner reported in your update. I, also, believe these low-level soliders were happy to comply with these "patriotic" demands. Afterall, Amerikan cultural mythology?tells us, generation?upon generation, that G-d and Jesus?are on the side of Amerikan military, CIA, etc. With that sick mentality in place, why would these people?consider their actions and their orders criminal or immoral??It is a shame that high-level government officials, like President Bush and Rep. Pelosi, will never be prosecuted for their role in these war crimes. Though President Obama was sold to the Amerikan people as an anti-war president, I'd bet money the same torture continues unabated during his time in office. I cringe when I hear the words "Amerikan justice."

All the best,

Don

I recently heard a debate between FNC pundit and supreme imbecile Brian Kilmeade and a Ron Paul supporter over the policy in Afghanistan. Kilmeade more or less thundered that the US should carpet-bomb the Hindu Kush with atomic weapons, as a way of wiping out the al-Qaeda/Taliban resistance.

"But what about all the innocent people who'd be killed?" the stunned Paul supporter asked.

"Who cares?" Kilmeade retorted. "They're just uncivilised tribes anyway, and they'll be nothing but problems for us in the future."

Kilmeade, it should be noted, also has advocated attacking Iran with CIA-trained car bombers. He's hardly a lone nut case. Turn on any right-wing pundit and they're spouting at length about locking up 'undocumented workers' in forced labor camps; killing off a few million Moslems to teach them respect for America; torture and espionage as legitimate law enforcement tools &c.

Related to my last post on this thread, I found this video clip. It's a perfect illustration of what Steve and Don describe about the cultural stupidity of the punditocracy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9tf0-BIyU0&feature=channel-page

About two days after this was broadcast, the CBC announced that three Canadian soldiers had been killed in action in Afghanistan.

Eric,

Thank you for posting?your video clip. I use the words armchair bomb thrower to describe pro-war Fox News fans. Though these people talk loud, tough and denigrate Cindy Sheehan and other peace activists, I bet these armchair bomb throwers?would quickly become the peace activists and draft dodgers?they vilify?if?they or their children were forced to participate in the war scenes they glorify from the comfort of their homes.

I offer the following video clip as a?textbook example of how not to talk with people, especially when trying to persuade someone to?a political point-of-view. The exchange is between Bill O'Reilly and Phil Donahue. In the exchange, O'Reilly engages in a multitude of interpersonal communication turn-offs, among them: arrogance, name-calling, finger-pointing, constant interrupting, threatening behavior, domineering behavior, ethnocentrism, certainty, and an inability to engage in dual perspective. Three cheers to Phil?Donahue for standing up to?Bill O'Reilly, a?pro-war coward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-XN5kuoKE&feature=PlayList&p=D966629121EBFF67&index=0&playnext=1

All the best,

Don

That's about par for the course for the right-wing. I know exactly what you mean---I get denounced as a 'liberal' on other forums all the time: question Bush and you're anti-American.

It's really been a situation I've had problems coming to grips with. I worked on the Harry Browne campaign a few years ago and never imagined that 10 years later I'd be arguing on forums with 'libertarians' over issues like torture, prison labor, national ID cards, domestic espionage, economic imperialism, state corporatism, &c. In fact, it's unbelieveable that these issues are debated at all---when I was 8th grade civics' class, we learned those were things that the Nazis and the Soviets believed in.