FW: Reminder - Free Exchange This Saturday!

Hi All,

I heard great "reviews" about last Free Exchange meeting where Mike Doty presented Technologies for Freedom Part I. I missed that meeting, but will attend this Saturday's Part II. Hope all of you will also.

Marcy

Marcy,

I plan to attend Free Exchange also.

How are you doing on Ed Stringham's Anarchy and the Law? Finished it or still reading it?

What %age of you has become an anarchist?

Warm regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

I will see you at Free Exchange on Saturday.

Regarding Stringham’s Anarchy and the Law, I might read maybe three pages per day, since that is all the tolerance I have for ethereal rhetoric. So, I am still in the 4/5 mark.

When Malcolm Greenhill gave his excellent talk on anarchy at the Wellness Center dinner a few months ago, I indicated that I did not find any arguments against what Malcolm said. That is because Malcolm focused on transactions between individuals, without regards to a higher organized power. That is, individuals can limit their association with those with whom they can maintain an anarchic relationship – this can happen, in varying degrees, in the context of a dictatorship, a monarchy, or a democracy – folks participating in black markets for goods and services are a prime example.

However, when I hear talk about an advanced population, such as what we call the United States, becoming an anarchic state; or talk about an anarchic state evolving into an advanced population while remaining anarchic, I cannot help but roll my eyes.

Stringham’s Anarchy and the Law is a collection of writings that express advantages as well as challenges of anarchy. There are chapters that express complete faith in the private sector’s ability to provide for the general welfare (order and infrastructure) without government. There are chapters that theorize that given human nature, any population group will evolve into a form of government as the group grows and becomes complex. Depending on each group’s dynamics, it will evolve into a monarchy, a democracy, a republic, a dictatorship, a theocracy, etc.

Interestingly, the book also deals with republics (small governments), such as the United States, inevitably evolving into forms of dictatorship. Of course. That is what Benjamin Frankly meant when he said, “a republic, if you can keep it.”

I am very glad I am reading the book because it is acquainting me with the general theories of anarchy and providing me with a framework with which I can better discuss the subject.

However, I side with the chapters in the book that a form of government is inevitable in the case of modern, large, diverse, complex populations. The book failed to give me any example of an anarchic population fitting that description. The examples of anarchic populations offered by the book are homogeneous, small, and primitive by our modern standards.

The form of government I like best is that envisioned by our founding parents – a republic with very specifically delineated responsibilities. Indeed, an inherent characteristic of such a republic is to increasingly obliterate the delineations. I view my job as a libertarian activist as doing my best to counter that devolution.

Now, because this is the Activists List, and we want only action-based strategy to go here, I must find an excuse for this post. I offer the following: With this post, I am encouraging LPSF activists to attend the next LPSF meeting where we will discuss the strategy for our “No on Proposition A” campaign, hoping to point out to the general public the potential harm that Prop A can bring them. This action is not anarchic but small- governmentic, and could be successful in stopping Prop A, legislation which promises to contribute to the devolution discussed above.

Regards,

Marcy