Evidence of the public waking up

Free Talk Live reported (10/1/11) that a poll found that 49%, a historic high, of people in the U.S. responded yes to the question,

"Do you think the federal government poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens?"

Free Talk Live, by the way, is my favorite radio show. Hardcore libertarian broadcasters out of the activist hotbed of Keene, New Hampshire. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it -- www.FreeTalkLive.com. You can download and subscribe to the podcasts, listen to their past shows, etc.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

Thanks for posting this about the poll showing almost half of us see the federal government as an immediate threat to our well\-being\!  
    Did you know that within the last year, U\.S\. Supreme Court Justice Kennedy said that 70 percent of all lawsuits being filed in federal court are being filed by individual citizens in pro per whose civil rights have allegedly been violated by government officials and employees?  And that when California Supreme Court Justice George retired, he said much the same thing?

Letitia,

No, I didn't know that, but that is very interesting. I'd love to hear more about it. I want to try to track down the details of the poll I mentioned as well. This kind of stuff is huge news, that's mostly ignored by the media.

Love & Liberty,
                                  ((( starchild )))

Yes, I' also like the details -- who did they poll. They're important -- but it sounds true to me!
There's s video of Justice Kennedy on the Internet talking about this -- it was shared with em by a woman who'd been beaten up by San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies on two occasions, years apart. The second time, she decided to sue in pro per. She lucked into getting some pro bono help, and the attorney who helped her got a call from an advocacy group to tell him that Justice Kennedy was talking about her case as a example of the problem. If I can find a link, I'll send it. The woman joined and is active in a group called "CopWatch."

Starchild;
  This morning I was listening to Thom Hartmann's radio program and he was talking to some labor-leaders about the Wall Street protests. The labor leader admitted that the protestors were 'about half Progressive and about half Ron Paul-libertarians'. Hartmann, who has been a progressive critic of Ron Paul's, was forced to concede that Ron Paul had 'a few good positions that we might be able to agree on'.

I hope that I turn out to be wrong about the American people's willingness to revolt after all. These protests are, to my mind, either the beginning of the long-awaited 'pushback' or the end of them.

LPSF,

I hold the opinion that the Wall Street protesters' anger is justified, but misplaced. I disagree with those who argue that these protests are a sign that Americans are waking up.

The protesters, if they are Progressives, are in favor of taxation, the higher the better, and the wealth redistribution that flows from it; they support this system wholeheartedly. They are angry because they and preferred members of their constituent community did not benefit from the bailouts.

A (Wall Street) lobbies B (government) because B is more powerful than A. The bailouts flowed from government to Wall Street with the blessings of government, both Democrats and Republicans. Wall Street did not take the money from the taxpayers; government took the money from the taxpayers and redistributed the money as it saw fit, in the name of that holiest of holies, the greater good.

Few, if any, of the protesters, including any republican protest participants, will dare question the root cause of the bailouts. To do so would force them to either abandon their current beloved political philosophy and political orientation or continue with their current affiliations knowing they are dupes who are part of the problem and vocal supporters of the root problem.

P.J. O'Rourke summed it up aptly: "When buying and selling are controlled by Washington, the first things to be bought and sold are politicians."

Government needs to be ended, not reformed. If that's not possible, then a multitude of secessionist movements of all political stripes would be a wonderful option.

All the best,

Don

Wonderful Don…..thank you.

Mike

Any by the way….if you haven’t seen Ken Burns public tv show on Prohibition, please do. What was interesting to this anarcho-capitalist was how the political process created the 18th amendment and responded with the 21st amendment to the US constitution. It was a very good lesson in activism often led by strong individuals.

The venerable H.L. Mencken was well represented with at least two quotes:

“Prohibition created three kinds of people. Wets. Drys. And hypocrites.”

And

“On December 5, 1933….I drank my first glass of water in 13 years.”

Highly recommended…

Mike

Hi Don,

My years talking to hundreds of folks who stopped by our LPSF booths or tables have totally convinced me of the truth in what you state. Dissatisfaction with government for them arose from what they perceived as government not doing ENOUGH for them! The "Occupy Wallstreet " protesters are in the same category. Corporations must do more for them, in their view.

Marcy

Don:

I'm ambivalent about this one so far. On the one hand, the protestors seem to have a large contingent of Ron Paul's followers; and I've heard an unsubstantiated report earlier that Ron Paul may address some of the rallies. The whole movement seems, though, to be centered on abolishing the current system without any clear objective than that. IOW, it could go either way.

I heard a commentator yesterday claim that the Wall Street robber-barons are encouraging these protests in the hopes that it will give them an excuse for a crackdown---that's also a distinct possibility. It's not like they've never used agents-provactuers before to derail reform movements; and with the media in their firm grip, it is entirely possible.

meanwhile, though, I hope things work out!