Cc'ing forum email with same subject should add reply

FYI… A new variety of error message! Seems like this one could come up often, as people often respond multiple times in the same thread without changing the subject line. I would suggest we get rid of that rule if possible.

What I was trying to send is copied below.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Usually, you can respond as many times you want with the same subject line.

The forum detects replies by, when you reply to a forum message, the reply-to email address is actually reply-some-unique-id@forum.lpsf.org, rather than lpsf-activists@forum.lpsf.org, which creates a new topic.

I guess you added lpsf-activists@forum.lpsf.org to the email, right? In that case, it would get added to the email thread, but the forum would always get correspondence sent to lpsf-activists@ rather than reply-some-unique-id@.

So, DIscourse thought you were trying to create a new post, and sent you an error message because the subject was already used.

You have a good use case though. Looking through the settings, I see:

find related post with key [√] Only use the ‘reply key’ to find the replied-to post. WARNING: disabling this allows user impersonation based on email address.

Trying to figure out what that means, I came across this. So, disabling that setting should allow me to add an email like reply@forum.lpsf.org.

I’m not sure if it would detect replies to the regular lpsf-xxx@forum.lpsf.org emails by matching the subject if the option is disabled but we don’t add a secondary non-key reply email. Let’s try it out!

I moved this post to the Site Feedback category.

Here’s a related issue I would like to address:

@Starchild, I did some testing with the option I mentioned above.

You can now Cc the regular forum email lists. If the subject matches an existing topic, it will add a reply.

However, it is still the case that, if someone outside the organization does “reply-all” which includes the forum, they will get an error because they are an unknown user. However, the error message is unclear, which is extra bad! I can customize the error to suggest subscribing, but perhaps it would also be good to allow unknown people to reply to messages and have their posts added.

As of now, your reply to their reply will include their quoted email, so that people can still get context.

I agree it would be nice to have that distinction.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

···

On Feb 18, 2021, at 10:55 AM, jeff via LPSF Forum wrote:

jeff
February 18
Here’s a related issue I would like to address:

Request: Reply to Individual Poster. Reply-All to Forum / Mailing List Site Feedback
This came up in the other conversation today. Yahoo! Groups and Discourse work the same way: replying to a post sends it to the entire forum / mailing list. I’d prefer an email “reply” to be sent as a private message / email to the user, whereas “reply-all” should be posted to the forum / mailing list. I created a topic on Discourse’s Discourse forum to request this as an option.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

jeff
February 18
Hi Starchild,

Starchild:
people often respond multiple times in the same thread without changing the subject line

The forum detects replies by, when you reply to a forum message, the reply-to email address is actually reply-some-unique-id@forum.lpsf.org, rather than lpsf-activists@forum.lpsf.org, which creates a new topic.

I guess you added lpsf-activists@forum.lpsf.org to the email, right? In that case, it would get added to the email thread, but the forum would always get correspondence sent to lpsf-activists@ rather than reply-some-unique-id@.

So, DIscourse thought you were trying to create a new post, and sent you an error message because the subject was already used.

find related post with key [√] Only use the ‘reply key’ to find the replied-to post. WARNING: disabling this allows user impersonation based on email address.

Trying to figure out what that means, I came across this. So, disabling that setting should allow me to add an email like reply@forum.lpsf.org.

I’m not sure if it would detect replies to the regular lpsf-xxx@forum.lpsf.org emails by matching the subject if the option is disabled but we don’t add a secondary non-key reply email. Let’s try it out!

Starchild
February 17
FYI… A new variety of error message! Seems like this one could come up often, as people often respond multiple times in the same thread without changing the subject line. I would suggest we get rid of that rule if possible.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Date: February 16, 2021 4:30:30 PM PST
To: sfdreamer@earthlink.net
Subject: [LPSF Forum] Email issue – Posting error
Reply-To: LPSF Forum noreply@forum.lpsf.org

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“hmrobson@ca.lp.org”] (titled Re: The Platform Committee has now been populated) didn’t work.

Reason:

Title has already been used

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:30 PM, Starchild wrote:

Hi Mimi,

No, that’s correct, except Jeff’s last name is spelled “Yunes”. I responded before looking at the rest of my emails and seeing Jeff’s message to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Mimi Robson wrote:

I was already notified that Jeffrey Yund was the primary representative and Gregory Michael was the alternate, and they have both been included in the committee and listed on the website. Was this incorrect?

Mimi Robson
Chair
Libertarian Party of California
hmrobson@ca.lp.org
(916) 446-1776 Ext. 3

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 4:05 PM
To: Mimi Robson
Cc: Brent Olsen; xd@ca.lp.org; Platform Committee; LPSF Activists List; Richard Fast
Subject: Re: The Platform Committee has now been populated

Hi Mimi,

I'm the only one from San Francisco who volunteered other than Richard Fast who's already representing Contra Costa county, so I'll be the Platform Committee representative for our county.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))
Chair, Libertarian Party of San Francisco
(415) 625-FREE

On Feb 16, 2021, at 12:29 PM, Mimi Robson wrote:

Dear County Officers,

Per the Bylaw 15, Section 3, the Counties must select their representatives for this committee 90 days prior to the convention, and that date was February 13, 2021. We received notification from only 13 counties with information of their representatives (and alternates), with one county stating the decided to opt out of appointing a representative. The counties that responded with representatives are: Butte, Contra Costa, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Merced, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Clara and Sonoma.

If you county responded and are not listed please respond ASAP with your representatives and alternates and the date that they were selected. The committee will be holding its initial meeting very soon, so you will need to respond prior to that meeting occurring.

In Liberty,

<image003.jpg>

I was already notified that Jeffrey Yund was the primary representative and Gregory Michael was the alternate, and they have both been included in the committee and listed on the website. Was this incorrect?

Mimi Robson
Chair
hmrobson@ca.lp.org
(916) 446-1776 Ext. 3

Cc: Brent Olsen; xd@ca.lp.org; Platform Committee; LPSF Activists List; Richard Fast

Hi Mimi,

I'm the only one from San Francisco who volunteered other than Richard Fast who's already representing Contra Costa county, so I'll be the Platform Committee representative for our county.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))
(415) 625-FREE

Dear County Officers,

Per the Bylaw 15, Section 3, the Counties must select their representatives for this committee 90 days prior to the convention, and that date was February 13, 2021. We received notification from only 13 counties with information of their representatives (and alternates), with one county stating the decided to opt out of appointing a representative. The counties that responded with representatives are: Butte, Contra Costa, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Merced, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Clara and Sonoma.

If you county responded and are not listed please respond ASAP with your representatives and alternates and the date that they were selected. The committee will be holding its initial meeting very soon, so you will need to respond prior to that meeting occurring.

In Liberty,

<image003.jpg>

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Not sure whether I understand correctly, but if I do it does not sound desirable, because a simple, obvious subject line like “LPSF meeting” could readily show up repeatedly over time.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

···

On Feb 18, 2021, at 10:52 AM, jeff via LPSF Forum wrote:

jeff
February 18
Hi Starchild,

Starchild:
people often respond multiple times in the same thread without changing the subject line

Previous Replies

Starchild
February 17

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Date: February 16, 2021 4:30:30 PM PST
To: sfdreamer@earthlink.net
Subject: [LPSF Forum] Email issue – Posting error
Reply-To: LPSF Forum noreply@forum.lpsf.org

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“hmrobson@ca.lp.org”] (titled Re: The Platform Committee has now been populated) didn’t work.

Reason:

Title has already been used

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:30 PM, Starchild wrote:

Hi Mimi,

No, that’s correct, except Jeff’s last name is spelled “Yunes”. I responded before looking at the rest of my emails and seeing Jeff’s message to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Mimi Robson wrote:

Mimi Robson
Chair
hmrobson@ca.lp.org
(916) 446-1776 Ext. 3

Hi Mimi,

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))
(415) 625-FREE

Dear County Officers,

In Liberty,

<image003.jpg>

Mimi Robson
Chair
hmrobson@ca.lp.org
(916) 446-1776 Ext. 3

Hi Mimi,

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))
(415) 625-FREE

Dear County Officers,

In Liberty,

<image003.jpg>

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I made a mistake. It doesn’t determine that post is a reply only based only on the subject (with or without the “key” option disabled). I sent a new message with the same subject as a test message, and it was rejected, rather than added as a reply. I’m not sure at the moment the combination of factors it does use.

As to whether it’s helpful to have multiple topics with subject “LPSF Meeting,” I’m not so sure. It might be better to encourage more descriptive subjects. That way, it would easier, for example, to read about the “LPSF Meeting for June 2021” or about “A Typical LPSF Meeting.”

For example, the recent posts most likely to trigger the “duplicate” error (but didn’t yet) are titled “Per our meeting yesterday” and “LPSF resolution” - two titles we could probably live without. Notably, you got the duplicate error, but that was another problem, and we didn’t want to create a topic with a duplicate title in that case. I think I’d prefer to keep the default until have a clear preference to allowing duplicate titles.

FYI, if you want to create a topic in the Site Feedback category, you can email site-feedback@forum.lpsf.org. By default, users are not emailed about all posts to that category.

Thanks for your feedback!