Congratulations To Obama On His Election Based On Electoral Votes

Dearest Marcy;

In previous postings over the years I have said we need to get this country to the point where you do not have to be an African-American or Hispanic-American or Asian-American or American Indian to be considered for a position in business or politics or school or community or anything. You just have to be American.

However, that time is unfortunately not going to be seen during most of our lifetimes. As I mentioned in the Congratulations posting it has been 145 years since the Emancipation Proclamation and 53 years since Rosa Parks in Montgomery, AL said enough is enough and 48 years since MLK gave his I have a dream speech.

Yes it would be absolutely wonderful if the color of ones skin or their religion or their life-style didn't get people subjected to ridicule and ostracism and denigration let alone beatings and death.

Yes this country would be a wonderful place to be if that time is ever reached. But far too many politicians and civic leaders and community leaders rely on the fact that there are various forms of segregation. Because if those forms of hate and contempt did not exist the reason for those living on and feasting off those groups would not exist. They would be superfluous and would have to crawl back under the rocks they slimed out from under.

For THIS election being a black African-American and having Obama elected as President meant so much so deeply down to their psyche that at this time yes - being black and African-American was what it is and was all about. Not only for black African-Amercian but everyone across the country and yes even worldwide.

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Dear Ron,

I totally understand your point of view; and, of course, Obama being
our President Elect is as huge a step as our electing Jack Kennedy, a
Catholic.

However, please let me share with you a family story. Recently, my
daughter went on a vacation trip to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Thailand
with one of her best friends, whom I never met, but hear my daughter
talk about all the time. In one of her e-mails from Hong Kong,
Celeste said that her friend's parents took them to some interesting
restaurants that only the locals know about. And that is when I found
out that Celeste's friend is Chinese-American.

When I asked how come she never mentioned it, Celeste said that she
and her friends don't mention a person's ethnicity, hoping that by
setting such an example, they can do their part in bringing about the
day when race and ethnicity do not matter. I like that approach! And
hope that strategy will shake loose the stranglehold politicians have
on race you mention in your posting; as well as move us to a place
where having a mixed-race President Elect will be as ho-hum as having
a Catholic one.

As an aside, my daughter did work on the Obama campaign and called
last night from S.F. Obama headquarters all emotional about the fact
that we had just elected an African-American. Well, go figure!

Marcy

Dearest Marcy;

In previous postings over the years I have said we need to get this

country to the point where you do not have to be an African-American
or Hispanic-American or Asian-American or American Indian to be
considered for a position in business or politics or school or
community or anything. You just have to be American.

However, that time is unfortunately not going to be seen during most

of our lifetimes. As I mentioned in the Congratulations posting it has
been 145 years since the Emancipation Proclamation and 53 years since
Rosa Parks in Montgomery, AL said enough is enough and 48 years since
MLK gave his I have a dream speech.

Yes it would be absolutely wonderful if the color of ones skin or

their religion or their life-style didn't get people subjected to
ridicule and ostracism and denigration let alone beatings and death.

Yes this country would be a wonderful place to be if that time is

ever reached. But far too many politicians and civic leaders and
community leaders rely on the fact that there are various forms of
segregation. Because if those forms of hate and contempt did not exist
the reason for those living on and feasting off those groups would not
exist. They would be superfluous and would have to crawl back under
the rocks they slimed out from under.

For THIS election being a black African-American and having Obama

elected as President meant so much so deeply down to their psyche that
at this time yes - being black and African-American was what it is and
was all about. Not only for black African-Amercian but everyone across
the country and yes even worldwide.

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

From: Amarcy D. Berry <amarcyb@...>
To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:53:40 AM
Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Congratulations To Obama On His Election

Based On Electoral Votes

I'm with Starchild on this one. Yes, Obama's victory is an amazing
historical landmark; however, we as Americans will only achieve the
ideals of racial equality when we stop speaking of folks like Obama as
"black." I noticed Obama never mentioned "black" or "white" in his
acceptance speech. Forward looking celebrities like Tiger Woods and
Obama (and maybe a Oprah also) are past race. Good for them!!

Marcy

>
> Technically of course Barack Obama is as much

European-American as

> African-American, not that it should actually matter one way or the
> other. Let's just hope he acts to roll back the worst of George W.
> Bush's authoritarian excesses and does not continue to implement
> policies that will bring the country closer to a police state.
>
> Love & Liberty,
> ((( starchild )))
>
>
>
> > Dear All;
> >
> > Yes you read the subject line correctly. As has been said by
> > numerous sages over the eons: May you live in interesting times.
> >
> > With the 8:00 news headlines showing Obama with 297 electoral

votes

> > and McCain with 145 the winner appears to be Obama in the

Electoral

> > College voting. Obviously the West Coast polls just closed but
> > their electoral votes would seem to favor Obama and thus cinching
> > the victory.
> >
> > These times are definitely interesting with a major historical
> > event taking place with the election of an African-American to the
> > office of the President of the United States.
> >
> > For some historical perspective Lincoln issued the Emancipation
> > Proclamation 145 years ago - which actually did not free one slave
> > in the Southern states or any in the Northern states. Including
> > Illinois whose black laws - many created and managed through the
> > state legislature by one Abe Lincoln - made the segregated laws of
> > the 1950's South look like a Disney movie. Yes they were really
> > that bad.
> >
> > Then 48 years ago you had a young black woman by the name of Rosa
> > Parks in Montgomery, Alabama who stood up in the front of a bus

and

> > say: I am not going to the back of the bus no more. Thereby
> > bringing onto the stage a young 25 year old Baptist minister by

the

> > name of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. who with others lead the
> > Montgomery bus boycott.
> >
> > Twelve short years later he would be assassinated. While being
> > remembered for his I have a dream speech he is being turned into a
> > mythologized legend by his supporters instead of a real human

being

> > warts and all. He rose up to face his Golgotha despite many
> > tormented moments about who he was and his non-violence movement

to

> > get civil rights for blacks.
> >
> > Seeing a black elected to the presidency is a historical moment

for

> > which I am living in this interesting time. This despite what his
> > actual policies will be which rest on a liberal socialists dream

of