[ca-liberty] Re: [LPC County Officers] Summary of 8/5/2006 Executive Committee meeting

Brian,

You're tired of hearing how the party shouldn't be seeking to soak its delegates? Well, I'm tired of hearing libertarians use terms like "whining." It makes you sound like a right-winger. They tend to love that word, along with terms like "crybabies," "bedwetters," "nanny-state," "get their panties in a bunch," "throw a hissy fit," etc., that seek to infantilize or feminize their political opposition.

I've written plenty about what a better convention might look like, and I discuss the topic regularly with other Libertarians. I would try to put a proposal together for the LPC if I thought it would get a fair hearing.

You completely missed the main point of my comments. Namely, the absurdity of the LPC adopting a standard that would *require* convention organizers to charge every attendee a certain amount, regardless of whether it is necessary in order to cover their costs or not. That's absurd even if you think everyone should be forced to help subsidize hotel costs.

Yes, I said "subsidize." There's no reason our annual gatherings have to be expensive. Politics is expensive, you say? All the more reason that we shouldn't require our members to spend their money on unnecessary expenses like lodging in upscale hotels. All the talk from the hotel fans about subsidies is exactly backward. Having conventions in upscale hotels -- not to mention cruise ships -- where meeting space comes at a premium, and then seeking to make everyone who attends the convention pay part of this cost, is seeking a *subsidy* for those who want to use a venue where they can stay in comfy hotel rooms on-site! Even worse, it tends to be a *regressive* subsidy where the relatively poor are forced to help subsidize the relatively wealthy, since those who want the gatherings to be held at places with names like Hilton, Marriott, and Doubletree tend to be those for whom paying is not a problem.

I say get our conventions out of the hotels and find venues with less overhead and more spartan accommodations, like college campuses, community centers, etc. Those who want to can always go stay somewhere else where they pay more for a nicer room. Stop "whining" -- to use your term -- that every LPC delegate must share the burden of all the overhead that comes with the option you want. If you insist on doing the party's work in a place that has chandeliers on the ceiling, take responsibility for the associated costs instead of trying to impose them on others. Stop trying to make the LP a pay-to-play party, because that's no way to build a mass movement. That's what I'm saying.

By the way Brian, why *don't* you favor going back to laws that charged people a poll tax in order to vote in public elections? After all, holding elections costs money, doesn't it? Do we want voters who "suck so badly at making money that they can't even come up with their own fees" playing a part in deciding public policy? It seems to me that charging people to vote, and requiring them to own property or meet some means test, would be perfectly in accord with your approach to these things.

Love & liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

Wow, Starchild, well said. Proud and powerful. All of it. I immensely agree.

and this:

You’re tired of hearing how the party shouldn’t be seeking to soak
its delegates? Well, I’m tired of hearing libertarians use terms
like “whining.” It makes you sound like a right-winger. They tend to
love that word, along with terms like “crybabies,” “bedwetters,”
“nanny-state,” “get their panties in a bunch,” “throw a hissy fit,”
etc., that seek to infantilize or feminize their political
opposition.

Can I marry you?

Oh, rats, I’m kind of religiously forbidden to do that. Oh, well.

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Freude, sch�ner G�tterfunken*
*Tochter aus Elysium,*
*Wir betreten feuertrunken,*
*Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!*
*Deine Zauber binden wieder*
*Was die Mode streng geteilt.*
*Alle Menschen werden Br�der*
*Wo dein sanfter Fl�gel weilt.*

email ms_shiris@…

Hey, Starchild- if you write anything else which is as passionate, eloquent, and well-argued as this, please add my salon to your cc list. (I’d suggest LeftLibertarian as well) This deserves to get out and be heard!

Oh, BTW, anyone here who likes my writing style is invited to attend my ongoing virtual symposium, Salon Liberty, hosted at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Salon_Liberty/

I would gladly welcome anyone who enjoys intelligent conversation, wit, and provocative banter. Warning: we may discuss sex and drugs as well as philosophy, and the house does not keep a supply of smelling salts.

Viva la vi boheme!

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Freude, sch�ner G�tterfunken*
*Tochter aus Elysium,*
*Wir betreten feuertrunken,*
*Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!*
*Deine Zauber binden wieder*
*Was die Mode streng geteilt.*
*Alle Menschen werden Br�der*
*Wo dein sanfter Fl�gel weilt.*