Any LPSF event for Tax Day?

Hi Aubrey, Starchild, and All,

I just finished reading a really good article on the grandiose development plans Mayor Lee is promoting vs. the reality of funding infrastructure to support those projects. The article mentions the source of the challenge is Prop 13, which places a cap on property taxes, thereby depriving projects of a funding source for infrastructure -- thus the need for expensive bond measures.

The article made me want to hear both sides of the story on Prop 13; i.e, property taxes on the backs of homeowners, bond measures we all pay for, or Redevelopment Agency funds which we also all pay for via state income taxes? (until Libertarians succeed in running the country, those are the choices the politicians in charge make available!) All this prompted me to ask whether we are still having the Prop 13 symposium on April 12 as we discussed at one time, being that April 12 is only three weeks away.

Thank you to Aubrey and Starchild for volunteering to look into the possibility of having this event.

Marcy

Hi Marcy and All! The event will go on as scheduled. Three out of the 4 speakers are confirmed, and I will locate the fourth speaker myself starting tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning the article, which should help to stir interest in Prop 13 and our symposium.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey and All,

Thank you for your efforts, Aubrey. Here is a link to the article I mentioned http://www.sfbg.com/2014/02/18/price-growth. It is in the Bay Guardian and is called The Price of Growth.

The SFBG seems to be the only local paper left that gives voters a clue of what politicians are cooking up. This article mentions "infrastructure financing districts," on the books for many years, seldom used, but now resuscitated as the latest development means of scr---g the taxpayers. Well, goes the new mentality, no property tax because of Prop 13, soooooooo.....

I hope the Tax Day panelists will elucidate the audience on these subjects.

Marcy

I'm actively looking for additional speakers, but nothing further to report yet. I mentioned the event to some people at the recent Rand Paul appearance.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Aubrey,

I am responding to the Bay Area Coalition meeting of May 10 (I am assuming you are going and I can tag along :slight_smile: and the thought occurred to me that LPSF should post its Tax Day event on Eventbrite also. I noticed that the corruption event you recently attended in San Mateo pops up several times on the Internet, partly thanks to its post on Eventbrite. Any thoughts on publicity for the LPSF April 13 event?

Marcy

Hi Marcy! Actually we won't we going to the coalition meeting because it conflicts with our own monthly LPSF meeting. I asked Mimi if she could change it to another week, but we're stuck with May 10, so we can't go. Eventbrite is an excellent idea for advertising for our Prop 13 Tax Day event. I will work on the project myself this week getting the fourth speaker and back on track.

Thanks!
Aubrey