Another story of personal interaction with the police

The lesson from these police brutality stories is that Govt security services tend toward brutality and incompetence because as a monopoly they're protected from free market incentives.

Best, Michael

I'm not sure that most private security forces are any more competent.
Think of your average mall or building "security". I attribute these
stories more to the sort of personality that is attracted to these
professions, coupled with the stress of having to deal with obnoxious
people all day long.

I did laugh at the line where he said he's not trespassing because he
"is there all the time"

-Derek

[ Attachment content not displayed ]

Derek,

While libertarian ideology would suggest Michael is correct, my own observations and experience more closely match your assessment. However I don't think people are naturally inclined to be obnoxious toward security guards -- to the extent they are, I think it is usually because the guards are either (a) being obnoxious in exercising authority, or (b) enforcing requirements which are offensive to common sense and/or to the dignity of those compelled to comply with them.

I agree that "I am here all the time" was an amusing response to the accusation of trespassing. My best guess though is that the Yolanda who reported the incident is a woman.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Derek,

A private security force has a financial incentive to act more competently and less brutally than its competitors. The Govt police, having a monopoly on the initiation of force, has no such incentive.

The general principle here is that the free market will produce products at lower cost and of higher quality than the state will of the same products.

Best, Michael

Starchild,

You enter an apparently deserted building at night. Would you rather find yourself suddenly detained by a Govt policeman or by a private security guard?

Would you feel safer asking the Govt police for protection or hiring private security guards to protect you?

Would you feel less worried if you discovered your client was a Govt policeman or was a private security guard?

Best, Michael

Michael,

I would certainly feel much safer or less worried with the private security guards in all three cases you describe -- but for reasons other than presuming them to be more competent.

In the first case, because private security have fewer legal punitive powers, in the second case because if I were their direct employer they would be more accountable to me than would government police, and in the third case because I don't know of any private security guards engaged in prostitution stings.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

You illustrate my point. All these advantages would accrue in a free society with the private provision of police, courts, and law.

Best, Michael