Ammiano helps us with our Calendar of Events

I received this newsletter from Ammiano today. At the bottom is a Community
Events listing for the next few weeks. Anyone willing to research / put
together an LPSF presence at any of the listed events?

Rob

Dear Rob and All,

Thank you for this calendar. Here is a little research, and then my comments.

Italian Heritage Parade: As a parade, not a street fair, I am not sure how we would go about tabling. So I did not look into this one.

Castro Street Fair - Oct 4: Deadline for applications is today Sep 28; however, it seems you can show up in the morning of the Fair to see if you can purchase a space. $225 with application for non-profits providing 501 document. $350 for political organizations and candidates.

Fiesta on the Hill - Oct 18: Applications are accepted until the day of the festival, on a first came first served basis. The festival administrators receive your information, and give you notice whether you have been declined, accepted, or waitlisted. The information says the fair is for artists, crafters, and other vendors. All need to present a SBE sales permit. Space fee is $250. I did not see any instructions specifically for non-profits or political organizations.

My comments are that I am personally not energized enough to do tabling right now, especially when this kind of money is involved. Maybe if I do find the energy, and others do also, we might want to try tabling for free at the S.F. Farmer's Market.

After seeing Ron's great My Space, I am wondering if it might be more realistic for LPSF activists to make an effort to get on the Web and promote the LP that way. Obviously, I am all for tabling; it is just that I can't find the zip to do it myself.

Regards,

Marcy

Dear Marcy;

In part you said: After seeing Ron's great My Space, I am wondering if it might be more
realistic for LPSF activists to make an effort to get on the Web and
promote the LP that way. Obviously, I am all for tabling; it is just
that I can't find the zip to do it myself.

The myspace and the facebook I am doing which will be very similar are for dual purposes. By going to the browse function and limiting to San Franciscans with some type of decent income showing and some degree of smarts about themselves my myspace site will be used to promote an interest in my companies tax services and promoting an interest in the Libertarian party. This is why I wrote the way I did what I did and said.

Obviously this has to be done circumspectly by not spamming hundreds of be my friends every day on myspace but using some selectivity.30 - 40 a day is the top level to use without attracting to much attention. Age is not really a consideration but someone who has a myspace or facebook page with a decent amount about themselves is a likely possibility for a be my friend. It's the initial dialogue and the initial approach which is the crux of the matter. As the saying goes you do not talk about anything else but the proposed be ny friend and who they are and what they are and what their likes and dislikes are before making the approach to take a look at the worlds smallest quiz etc. Then after they have read the myspace site taking it from there bit by bit dialogue by dialogue.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Yes like you said if all the other activists or group discussions types did a myspace page and gently but persistently and consistently went after be my friends for the LPSF we could very definitely increase our membership.

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Dear Ron,

As usual, I am confused. I reviewed the My Space site, and all I see is 10 year olds. So, given the fact that I am not as courageous as you to take the plunge and open a "personal" My Space (I am older than you are!), I am thinking of opening a site with a strictly LPSF/Libertarian focus. However, I am wondering if that would be proper, by My Space purpose and by LPSF purpose.

Also, thank you for you efforts in explaining how the thing works, but way over my head. But, my favorite book quote is from Alice in Wonderland, and goes something like "start at the beginning, go till you get to the end, then stop."

Marcy

Dear Marcy;

I suggest you go to - browse people - then advanced browse where you can select by categories men or women or both and have age ranges and so on you would be surprised at the number of oldsters some as even as old as you. :slight_smile:

As an example this url which may work should show some men and women between the ages of 40 - 50 college educated and making from $45- 60 a year residing in SF.

If the url works: http://snipurl.com/s76wl
otherwise cut and paste

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Marcy, I think Facebook is more your speed. :slight_smile: Start there first. Ron
seems willing to do the hard work with regard to demographics on MySpace,
but an easier first step for you would, IMHO, be to start a Facebook
account.
FWIW, I used to have a MySpace account and closed it last year when it was
clear that all my my peers had "grown out of it." I hadn't really updated
it since my 2003 trip to the Grand Canyon, and I had only received one or
two legitimate messages in several years, making the spam-to-ham ratio
something like a million to one.

Young (and older) professionals tend toward Facebook instead of MySpace. I
think you should do Facebook first, Marcy.

Rob