Agenda for This Saturday's Meeting

Hi All! Here is the agenda for this month's meeting. I kept it simple so we can concentrate on the local ballot measures. If you get a chance, please take a look at the Department of Elections website to familiarize yourself with what's out there so far: http://sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2969

Libertarian Party of San Francisco Agenda: Saturday, July 12, 2014
Meeting Location: San Francisco Main Library – 4th Floor Conference Room

1. Welcome – Introductions 3:05-3:15
  2. Activist Reports – Past & Future 3:16-3:30
  3. Announcements 3:31-3:45
  4. Membership Report 3:46-3:50
  5. Website Report 3:51-3:55
  6. Pride 2014 Report 3:56-4:05
  7. Treasurer’s & Campaign Committee Reports 4:06-4:10
  8. November Election Ballot Measures 4:11-5:00
By the way, the LPSF did file the argument against Prop 43 (the $11 billion water bond) with the Secretary of State yesterday. While the chances of our argument getting chosen as the official NO argument isn't that high, you never know--we may get lucky. Thanks to Mike Denny and all for the help on that one.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey, Les, and All,

Thanks for the Agenda, Aubrey, I will post it on the website ASAP.

I am wondering if either under Website Report or Campaign Report we could establish some guidelines for discussing ballot measures and making pro/con recommendations on the LPSF website. I do not mean repeating what we already know, that we should keep the LPSF and the Campaign Committee "separate;" nor do I mean any particular process by which such stuff ends up on the website. I mean what is "separate" when referring specifically to discussion of ballot measures and making pro/con recommendations on the website.

I am asking this because I am now totally confused! I was under the impression that if no money is spent on a particular action -- such as those noted above as well as filing free ballot arguments -- then the action is not reportable on the campaign finance forms. I personally have no desire to flaunt any rules that LPSF voluntarily decided to adopt, but I would not want LPSF to give up any involvement such as recommendations etc. either.

I note that both the San Francisco Republican Party and the San Francisco Green Party post recommendations on their website. I also note that the SF Republican Party seems to consider itself a "PAC," judging by the footnote on their website section on campaign activity. I do not see a similar section on the Green website.

Marcy

I looked on the website of the SF Repub Party.
They do indeed consider themselves to be a PAC.
They also file disclosure reports with the FEC (Federal Election Commission) and CA FPPC (California Fair Political Practices Commission).

We (or a least I) want to avoid having to file reports for all our activities.
That was one reason for setting up the SFLCC to separate campaigning from other party activities.

Les

Hi Les and Marcy. We can discuss this further tomorrow during our meeting. We definitely need some clarification and direction on this issue. We don't want to get ourselves into hot water, but we still want to be able to try to make some kind of headway in the political arena.

Thanks!
Aubrey