ACTION ITEM - Re: [lpsf-activists] Re: Request from Ann Grogan of Patrol Special Police / Cover story in today's Examiner

For those who couldn't make the Police Commission meeting today, please take a minute to send the Police Commission an email letting them know that you support the Patrol Special Police and want them to reject the recommendations in the "Public Safety Strategies Group" report which unfairly attacked the organization.

Ask that they instead take the Patrol Specials out from under the control of the San Francisco Police Department, which is interfering with their work by preventing them from hiring additional officers, hassling them with unnecessary investigations, etc., and have them be directly accountable to the Police Commission and complaints about them heard by the Office of Citizen Complaints, just as is the case with the SFPD.

If you can, cite any positive experiences you may have had with the Patrol Specials, or use some of the data from their website (http://sfspecialneighborhoodpolicing.org) to support your arguments that this organization should not only be continued, but allowed to expand its good works.

The Police Commission's email address is <sfpd.commission@...>.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

P.S. - I listed the name of the group issuing the report incorrectly in the message below. The correct name is the Public Safety Strategies Group, and the woman who presented before the Police Commission was Kym Craven.

Also, the reason I said "it looks pretty ominous" is that the commissioners appeared to me to be giving the report's recommendations their serious consideration. Although they cannot outright abolish the Patrol Specials themselves because the group is in the City Charter, they could recommend that it be abolished or impose rules that would further destroy it. This would be a blow to freedom.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))