ACTION ITEM: Help Steve Kubby - LPC Gubernatorial Candidate Faces Extradition From Canada

From http://www.kubby.org ... See also second article below by Richard Cowan -- where is the LP?

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

YOUR VOICE COULD BE THE ONE
THAT SAVES OUR FAMILY!
by Michele Kubby

I am not a lawyer, I am a Mother and a Wife who has been forced to learn the ropes in the courtroom, in order to keep my husband alive and my family safe. Unlike the government, I do not have deep pockets and an army of lawyers to back me up. I am alone against two governments and it looks like I am losing my battle to save my husband’s life.

I must confess, I am very frightened about the very real possibility that my entire family will be arrested this Friday and Steve will be taken from us, deprived of his lifesaving medicine and delivered in handcuffs to the US Federal Marshals.

Even if I am successful today in court and can stop the Removal Order, it is only a temporary fix and we still face a long uphill battle to win our freedom.

Faced with such overwhelming odds, I am forced to admit that I cannot do this alone any longer. I need your help.

Now, I can fight a fair fight, one with rules that everyone can follow and let the best man win and all. BUT, I cannot fight a battle of lies and legal deceptions.

There is plenty of evidence in my husband’s case to prove fraud, perjury and obstruction of justice, by American police, prosecutors, and even two judges. Just check out our website . Judge for yourself, the extensive evidence of fraud and illegal acts by Placer County officials, all in order to convict and discredit my husband and the medical use of cannabis.

Doesn’t my husband deserve the opportunity to clear his name?

Of course he does.

Why must the Canadian government be in such a rush to send an innocent man to his death, without even giving him a fair chance to have his evidence heard in a fair and impartial court?

For the reality is that on the one hand, the Canadian government recognizes that my husband needs access to cannabis because it is a last resort for him. According to doctors, nothing else will keep his cancer at bay like cannabis. This recognition by the Canadian government is enshrined in my husband’s Health Canada exemption.

But on the other hand, they wish to send him back to the United States where there is zero tolerance for medical cannabis and take away from him the only medicine that is keeping him alive.

What kind of justice is that?

At this point, after fighting in court for five years, I am losing faith in the system and find myself wondering if we can ever obtain justice in a courtroom. Considering the most recent threats of imminent arrest and deportation to my family, I have come to the sad conclusion that the only way to solve this legal nightmare is to ask anyone who hears our story to call or fax letters on our behalf to those Canadian Ministers who can and should fix this mess.

There is an election in just two weeks and each of these Ministers face tight election races Now is certainly the best time to get the attention and cooperation of these Ministers.

You can call the Ministers of Immigration, Justice, Homeland Security and Health. Any of them, with a simple stroke of their pen, can remove this Removal Order and keep us safe in Canada.

This May, my family will have been in Canada for five years. In that time no one in our family has broken any laws of Canada. Please, we are just a family with a husband and a father who has cancer. We cannot do this alone.

Please help save Steve Kubby, a man who has worked all his life for non-violent, legal changes in our cannabis laws and has worked tirelessly to defend the rights of sick people who use cannabis medically.

Your phone call, e-mail or fax could save us. Your voice could be the one that make the difference and saves our family!

Joe Volpe , Minister of Immigration ,Voice : (613) 954-1064, Fax: (613) 957-2688
Ujjal Dosanjh , Minister of Health , Voice: (613) 995-7052, Fax: (613) 995-2962
Irwin Cotler , Minister of Justice , (613) 992-4621, Fax: (613) 990-7522
Anne McLellan , Minister of Public Safety , (613) 991-2924, Fax: (613) 952-2240

The Libertarian Party, Steve Kubby and The Need for Activism
http://www.marijuananews.com/news.php3?sid=822

Posted June 9, 2005
Analysis by Richard Cowan

See It’s The Stupidity, Stupid. How the Prohibitionist Ideology Has Wrecked The Republican Party and Undermined Democracy Everywhere. When Ideology Trumps Reality, The Result is Stupidity.

As a Libertarian I have been very gratified by the impact of libertarian ideas over the last few decades. Libertarian think-tanks like the Cato Institute are very influential in “real world” politics. One reason for this is that politicians who would never be mistaken for intellectuals tend to treat them like intellectual buffets, where they can pick the ideas they like and ignore the ones that don’t fit their preconceived notions.

As the non-libertarian Lord Keynes once observed: “Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences are usually the slaves of some defunct economist.”

Happily, they can also be influenced by non-defunct economists like Milton Friedman, who has once again called for the legalization of cannabis. Indeed, the libertarian intellectuals and think tanks have never hidden their opposition to the drugwar, and they have never suffered from it.

Consequently, I have been very disappointed that the Libertarian Party has not been more successful in presenting libertarian ideas to the voters.

It is true that the Republicans have stolen their thunder on taxes and the Second Amendment (gun rights). Indeed, the Republicans have become the NRA at prayer, but, sadly, the Democrats are merely the ACLU at rest.

Consequently, the Libertarian Party has been a victim of the success of SOME of the libertarian ideas. However, it has missed a major opportunity, because both the Democrats and Republicans have been strong supporters of the drugwar – including the war on medical cannabis, despite overwhelming public skepticism about the former and support for the latter.

Although the Libertarian Party platform has always made clear its opposition to prohibition, it has largely failed to take advantage of this opportunity created by the timidity and/or stupidity of the two main parties.
From October of 2000 ,
See
At Least the Libertarians Are Noting the Record Marijuana Arrests and Offer an Interesting Perspective. The Media Continue to be the Watchdog that Never Barks.
and from February of 2000
see Libertarian Party Press Release Gives Data On Prison Population As It Passes 2 Million.

Nowhere has this failure been more tragically obvious than in its failure to take the lead in supporting its own drugwar opponents who were on the frontlines. The late Peter McWilliams’ book, It Ain’t Nobody’s Business If You Do , is a civil libertarian Bible, but when Peter was held on $250,000 bail, where was the Party? Oh, of course, they did issue a press release.
See Libertarian Party Says Peter McWilliams Is Victim of Efforts To Discredit Medical Marijuana

And they invited him to speak at their convention. My point is not that they did nothing, but that they did not do enough. There was no national drive to free him. Here was a sympathetic victim of an outrageous abuse of the Constitutional ban on “Excessive Bail” – in addition to everything else, but Peter languished in jail for over a month before he was finally freed by his mother having to pledge her home to the Federal government. Then he was on his own.
See A Plea From Peter McWilliams

Peter died much sooner than he would have otherwise because of his imprisonment.
See
The Murder of Peter McWilliams -- An Indictment, Not an Obituary – by Richard Cowan

As I recall, the Party issued another press release.

Similarly, the Party issued a number of press releases when Steve Kubby was arrested.
See
State and National Libertarian Party Organizations Denounce Arrest
Of Medical Marijuana Activist Steve Kubby, Request Help For Legal Defense Fund
and links

But when he was almost nominated to be the Party’s Vice Presidential candidate in 2000, the Party missed the chance to get out front on the medical cannabis issue.
See
Kubby Finishes Second in Close Race for Libertarian VP Nomination. Convention Speakers and Nominees Make Clear Libertarians Are The Anti-Prohibitionist Party. Special to MarijuanaNews

In all fairness, the Party did do more for the Kubbys than for McWilliams, but Steve was, after all, the Libertarian Party candidate for governor in California. However, that was then; this is now.

The Kubbys are in exile and it would appear “out of sight, out of mind” is the rule of the day. The Party has largely ignored the outrageous recent developments in their case. Basically, they have proven that their arrest was the result of fraud on the court, and it would appear that the court is in collusion with the prosecution and even the Federal government to cover-up this fraud. That is about as juicy as a scandal can get.

This is an opportunity that should be welcomed by any political party, especially one that needs to catch the public’s attention as badly as the libertarians. Its failure is glaringly obvious now that the medical cannabis issue is in the headlines. And as Steve Kubby himself has said, “If you want to be in the headlines, you need to be on the frontlines.” But the Libertarian Party is literally “missing in action.”

Let’s review the facts:
Steve Kubby was a very effective Libertarian Party candidate for governor of the most populous state. Indeed, he was targeted precisely because he was the Party’s candidate.

Court cases may or may not succeed in advancing individual rights, but they are an effective way to get media attention. They are “real” – not just “theory,” and that means news.

The narks in Placer County, California, are in serious trouble because of their behavior in other cases, so this is not “an isolated case” – and it involves issues that go far beyond the medical cannabis itself.
See
Placer County: Still Crazy After All These Years. Kubby Hearings Offer New Evidence California Law Enforcement Still Fighting Medical Cannabis Law. Special Report to MarijuanaNews.com

The medical cannabis issue is not only on the public agenda, it is in the headlines, and there are far more cannabis users – indeed far more medical cannabis users – than there are Libertarians.

The public overwhelmingly supports medical cannabis and – at least – the “decriminalization” of cannabis possession for “non-medical” use.
See
Leakin’ ‘Bout My G-G-Generation. Leak of AARP Poll On Medical Cannabis Assures Story Will Have Long Legs. Mainstreaming Real Threat To Prohibitionist Party Line.

The public is very skeptical about the drugwar, but neither of the major parties will criticize it.

“Putting the human face” on an issue is recognized as being one of the most effective political tools.
See
Understanding The Cultural War Against Medical Marijuana by Steve & Michele Kubby

The Kubby case “has it all.” Steve needs cannabis to live. He and his family have been forced into exile. He has a beautiful wife and children. His arrest and prosecution involved major violations of due process. He has a permit from Canada to grow a large amount of cannabis. These are all things that the media would “eat up” – if someone would get their attention.
See
If Cannabis Could Cure Cancer, They Would Tell Us, Right? No. Very Simply, It Would Undermine Cannabis Prohibition. Steve Kubby Is The Living Proof.

The Libertarian Party has sunk at the polls even as (many) libertarian ideas have become more successful, so clearly the Party needs an issue. In fact, it needs all the help it can get.

Oh, yes, it is the right thing to do. There would seem to be a moral obligation to stand up for its own, especially when they have been targeted precisely because of their activism on behalf of the Party.
See
DEAland On Trial At Kubby Refugee Hearings. Damning Testimony From A Patient, A Judge and Ed Rosenthal. Meanwhile, Congress Was Busy Making It Even Worse. Special Report to MarijuanaNews.com
and
Prosecutor Demands That Kubby Be Jailed to Die Without Medical Marijuana; Judge Agrees, But Jailer Refuses to Commit Murder. Just When You Thought They Couldn’t Get Any Crazier…

I hope that the Libertarian Party will not only be more forthcoming in its support for the Kubbys, but will make their case and medical cannabis a major issue for the Party and the libertarian movement. In fact, this case could be the foundation on which Libertarians could turn the Party into a true activist movement. If they do not, they risk irrelevance and may even deserve it.
See
http://kubby.com/