Across Texas, 60,000 babies of noncitizens get U.S. birthright | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Dear All; This news story while Texas oriented could be replicated in California. What is the Libertarian solution? Please no theories about what could be done but specific actual factual to the point of what can be done.

Ron Getty

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080810dnmetbabies.2be9a7e.html

What is the problem for which you're seeking a solution?

Dear UCSF Mike;

60,000 babies born in Texas to what article described as " non-citizens " and
costing a few bucks in hospital expenses to tax payers in one way or another for
starters as those birth costs are not reimbursed by the " non-citizens " and
usually run around some average expenses of about $10,000 per baby so the
hospital gets its money from Texas state and/or the federales or increased
hospital expenses to paying customers. The same would apply in California and
the numbers could be the same.

Where's the money coming from and out of whose paychecks and why should
taxpayers be forced into involuntary philanthropy?

Ron Getty

Dear Ron,

So the problem is one of uninsured hospital users, not one of illegal aliens.

A further problem would be wanting to change the 14th Amendment as a solution to the uninsured challenge, for which the Libertarian solution would be not to support the change.

Marcy

First of all, I doubt the number. I've heard reliable statistics that the number is much closer to 6,000---NATIONALLY. It's also not unheard-of that foreign mothers with the means to do it come here because of the hospital services and care nothing about citizenship status.

Dear Eric

the total number of non-documentados nationally is somewhere between 12 million
to 15 million and I guarantee you they are having more than just 6,000 babies
nationally a year..... LOL

The 60,000 number is based on actual birth records in Texas and it does include
women who do come across the border just in a nick of time to have their baby in
Texas which does happen and if the cost factors are correct that 60,000 at
$10,000 a pop is $600,000,000.

Someone is having to pony up that money - any guesses whom that may be???

Ron Getty

Dear MArcy

Round figure wise $600,000,000 with the birth figures and the cost factors of
$10,000 each. That's a heavy load to dump on taxpayers one way or another or on
the uninsured one way or another as their premiums pay for the un-reimbursed
expenses. So how do you stop taxpayers from taking the hit one way or another?

That 14th Amendment anchor baby issue is Republican smoke blowing. As based on
current immigration laws which we have enforce them. Or do away with them
completely and screw the issue.

Just cut all social welfare programs for free housing, free medicine, free
schools and free food for everyone. The watch what happens and see who stays and
who packs it up and leaves. The ones who stay put them on citizenship track as
for the others screw'm and get their fingers out of my wallet.

Ron Getty

Dear Ron,

Exactly! Focus on those who do not pay, be they illegal aliens or not. Giving any credence to changing the 14th Amendment is lunatic in my view.

But, the Libertarian solution of simply not providing care for those not able to pay might not be practical (and you had asked for practical things we can do). My suggestion would be to promote the idea of setting a drastically reduced budget for charity care. For instance, birthing care might be provided in the home by volunteer medical personnel, medical students, midwives. It is interesting that some women who can pay just fine are choosing home births assisted by midwives or doulas, so the notion is not all that strange.

Marcy

Ron,

Are you familiar with stand-up comic Doug Stanhope? He identifies as libertarian, but in this clip he goes after one large group of people who arrive in the United States sans documents with a vengeance. Would you agree he's too hard on them, or do you think he's right to say they shouldn't be allowed to come here if taxpayers have to pay for their schooling, health care, etc.? Just watch the first minute and 15 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgbSjLT1xE&feature=player_embedded#!

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Starchild

The people who make those babies should be held responsible for the babies needs
- not all taxpayers! No taxpayer should be forced to pay for medical and
schooling and housing and food for them. The parents who made them should be the
ones who pay. If someone wants to voluntarily do so they are free to do so.

Ron Getty

This is kind of a ridiculous discussion, as the requirements for amending the United States constitution are so restrictive that hell will freeze over before the 14th Amendment is ever repealed. The Republican minority has no realistic chance of moving this discussion beyond the realm of Fox news and right-wing talk radio. It is clearly intended to provoke controversy associated with the Arizona anti-immigration law, but has even less chance of coming to a vote either on the floor of the congress, or among the legislatures of the various states that would have to agree to the idea. It ain't never gonna happen.

Why are we wasting our time on arguing about something that will never happen?

Terry Floyd

Because this is the LPSF "Discussion Group"! Kind of like "All Things Considered" or "This American Life" or "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me."

Marcy

Dear Terry;

At one time the Titanic was described as Unsinkable - then look what happened...
LOL

Ron Getty

Dear Terry;

At one time the Titanic was described as Unsinkable - then look what happened...
LOL

Ron Getty

Ron,

Certainly! And I for one would not dream of suggesting that the right of babies to come into this country be curtailed until such time as those who make them take full responsibility for their expenses. We don't need government licensing of parents any more than we need government border controls.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))