A Great Article On "Lawless" Somalia

[Derek said]

The ballot box?<<

As the old saying goes, the natural progression goes:
1) from the soap box
2) to the ballot box
3) to the jury box
4) to the bullet box

The Libertarian Party believes we are roughly in stage 2, plus or minus. We hope it doesn't get to stage 4.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
--John F. Kennedy, 1962

(not someone I normally quote!)

[Ron said]

You can't make an omelot [sic] without breaking some eggs.<<

Also said by Donald Rumsfield about IRAQ-II, and usually attributed to Lenin.

(not people that Ron usually quotes!)

Rich

Dear Richard;

Lenin and Rumsfield quoth the same???

Try these quotations from Gandhi as the real progression of a moral movement and it underlying motivation to effect change by challenging the destructiveness of politics.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

No power on earth could resist the lovers of liberty who were ready not to kill opponents, but be killed by them.

Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.

There are times when you have to obey a call which is the highest of all, i.e., the voice of conscience even though such obedience may cost many a bitter tear, and even more, separation from friends, from family, from the state to which you may belong, from all that you have held as dear as life itself. For this obedience is the law of our being.

Democracy and dependence on the military and police are incompatible.

The spirit of democracy cannot be established in the midst of terrorism, whether governmental or popular.

Otherwise; Hey what do I know already?

There's this great local ristorante with a good breakfast menu I sometimes visit on weekends. The Chef is always saying that you can't make an omelot without breaking some eggs his name is Vladimir Ulyanov - hmmm - I wonder? Nope couldn't be!!!

HOWEVER the quote goes way back further than Lenin who said that quote. However, try these people for the same quote made much earlier than Lenin.

On ne fait pas d'omelette sans casser des oeufs [or On ne peut pas faire des omelettes sans casser les oeufs] (attributed to Robespierre and Napoleon) We are walking upon eggs, and whether we tread East or tread West, the omelet wiil not be made without breaking of some. (T.P. Thompson, _Audi Alteram Partem_, 1859) "My dear Miss Flora, you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs," said I. (R.L. Stevenson, _St. Ives_, 1894)

Ron Getty
  SF Libertarian

Richard Newell <richard@...> wrote:

[Derek said]

The ballot box?<<

As the old saying goes, the natural progression goes:
1) from the soap box
2) to the ballot box
3) to the jury box
4) to the bullet box

The Libertarian Party believes we are roughly in stage 2, plus or minus. We hope it doesn't get to stage 4.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
--John F. Kennedy, 1962

(not someone I normally quote!)

[Ron said]

You can't make an omelot [sic] without breaking some eggs.<<

Also said by Donald Rumsfield about IRAQ-II, and usually attributed to Lenin.

(not people that Ron usually quotes!)

Rich